Scientific Theories/Paradoxes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Recently I was talking to my best friend about a few theories and paradoxes...

My favorite one to think about is the Grandfather Paradox.
The concept is this. Imagine someone travels back in time to kill their Grandfather before he becomes a father to their father.
And now the question is this:
If time travel was possible is it even possible to kill your Grandparent?
By doing that you will have erased your existence completely, as well as your father's.
But if you are dead that future you could never existed and therefore could never have gone back in time to kill your Grandfather. You would be non-existant to reality at that point. Right as he is about to die your memories will all fade away and you will dissipate into nothingness as you will never exist... And what would happen to the Grandfather/Grandmother? Would they die or would they live because their killer (being their Grandchild) never existed?
Or would time just keep repeating itself sense the child would be the same person and attempt it again and then time itself would be put on repeat...

There is also the Dichotomy Paradox.
You can never reach the end to something.
Imagine you have a target in sight and you decide that you will keep moving half of the distance between you and that object.
There is an infinite amount of numbers. In fact a simple 1 can be divided down into smaller increments. 0.50, 0.1, 0.01, 0.009--♾. You get the point I think...
So if you keep moving half that distance you'll never stop moving TECHNICALLY, but you'll also never reach your target. You'll never touch it...

If time travel was possible is it even possible to kill your Grandparent?
By doing that you will have erased your existence completely, as well as your father's.
But if you are dead that future you could never existed and therefore could never have gone back in time to kill your Grandfather. You would be non-existant to reality at that point. Right as he is about to die your memories will all fade away and you will dissipate into nothingness as you will never exist... And what would happen to the Grandfather/Grandmother? Would they die or would they live because their killer (being their Grandchild) never existed?
Or would time just keep repeating itself sense the child would be the same person and attempt it again and then time itself would be put on repeat...
I think that you would be able to kill your grandfather. Once hes dead you would disappear.

I think that you would be able to kill your grandfather. Once hes dead you would disappear.
Not that simple to me... If he dies, you never existed to begin with, meaning his killer never existed so he can't die from your hand.
And would reality/time actually stop you before you kill your Grandparent? Would it not allow it to actually happen?
It's a pretty deep thought imo...

Not that simple to me... If he dies, you never existed to begin with, meaning his killer never existed so he can't die from your hand.
And would reality/time actually stop you before you kill your Grandparent? Would it not allow it to actually happen?
What if he were to kill himself? What would that do?

What if he were to kill himself? What would that do?
If the Grandfather killed himself? Well the Grandfather would die and his bloodline would never exist. Simple.
But that would be by his own hand, so it wouldn't make anything different than that reality if that makes sense. (That's getting into the string theory and a multiverse though.)
Being from his Grandchild's hand who time traveled, it would get more complicated with the outcomes

If the Grandfather killed himself? Well the Grandfather would die and his bloodline would never exist. Simple.
But that would be by his own hand, so it wouldn't make anything different than that reality if that makes sense. (That's getting into the string theory and a multiverse though.)
Being from his Grandchild's hand who time traveled, it would get more complicated with the outcomes
I'm glad that none of that exists. It would make life really complicated.

Did you ever think about the odds that you even exist? Think of all the dangers, contingencies, , coincidences and luck that made you be now. Plagues, wars, slavery, murder, poverty....That is a mind boggler that doesn't even make us have to write in the conditional voice. It really is remarkable any of us are here.

Now, if I went back to kill my grandfather - one was a merchant sailor who would have won that fight, and the other was a hockey player who would have rolled me up in a ball and invented the NBA with me. So if I hatched such an evil plan, I would cease to exist years after they died and it would not have bothered their lives. If I had decided to try the experiment on my great grandmother, ooh, that would have been a painful death for me. My point? Time and space have no thought, and wouldn't stop anything. All is random. But living people will kick your butt to stay alive, and that's probably what has all of us here now..

Did you ever think about the odds that you even exist? Think of all the dangers, contingencies, , coincidences and luck that made you be now. Plagues, wars, slavery, murder, poverty....That is a mind boggler that doesn't even make us have to write in the conditional voice. It really is remarkable any of us are here.

Now, if I went back to kill my grandfather - one was a merchant sailor who would have won that fight, and the other was a hockey player who would have rolled me up in a ball and invented the NBA with me. So if I hatched such an evil plan, I would cease to exist years after they died and it would not have bothered their lives. If I had decided to try the experiment on my great grandmother, ooh, that would have been a painful death for me. My point? Time and space have no thought, and wouldn't stop anything. All is random. But living people will kick your butt to stay alive, and that's probably what has all of us here now..
I see your point I do... But that doest make sense that there would be no large consequences to your actions with this...

If you time traveled and really did kill your Grandfather it would create a very interesting situation of repetition and/or both of you dying.

OR he doesn't die and only you die but start life again? That would be an interesting outcome for sure...

Imagine this scene:
You travel back in time. You find your Grandfather. You pull out a gun and shoot. As the bullet flies towards him you start to slowly disappear but as you dissipate, so does the bullet and gun.

With it dissipating and never hitting him what happens to you? Obviously he can't die while you live, that's illogical. But you can't die if he lives either after you fire it.
It creates a weird time glitch almost I'd guess...
Where you would partially disappear and who knows what else...

Time and space has no thought, you are right, but it does have a way of working, and disrupting that would cause some very bad outcomes most likely.

I see your point I do... But that doest make sense that there would be no large consequences to your actions with this...

If you time traveled and really did kill your Grandfather it would create a very interesting situation of repetition and/or both of you dying.

OR he doesn't die and only you die but start life again? That would be an interesting outcome for sure...

Imagine this scene:
You travel back in time. You find your Grandfather. You pull out a gun and shoot. As the bullet flies towards him you start to slowly disappear but as you dissipate, so does the bullet and gun.

With it dissipating and never hitting him what happens to you? Obviously he can't die while you live, that's illogical. But you can't die if he lives either after you fire it.
It creates a weird time glitch almost I'd guess...
Where you would partially disappear and who knows what else...

Time and space has no thought, you are right, but it does have a way of working, and disrupting that would cause some very bad outcomes most likely.
You would only disappear after the bullet killed your grandfather. Not before.

You would only disappear after the bullet killed your grandfather. Not before.
As it flies, you have permanently changed the past, present, and future and therefore time and space creates a glitch almost.
Where you made it "think" that, that person will die but it disappears before anything happens. Basically you said "sike" to reality 😂

But what if you killed him after your father was conceived???

Buuuuut... Would you have any memories of him?... So that is a good question actually

Most reactions

trending

Back