Schooling

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Falconwithaboxon

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I just got 6 black skirt tetras for more tank. I was going to get 6 gold or white skirt tetras as well. Will all 12 school together or will it be 2 schools of 6?

They will most likely school together. Maybe at first they will be a little wary, but they will come around.

I have Harlequin Rasbora’s and Neon Tetras in my 29g tank, and they school together.

I just got 6 black skirt tetras for more tank. I was going to get 6 gold or white skirt tetras as well. Will all 12 school together or will it be 2 schools of 6?
White skirt and black skirt are the same fish and will schoal together (tetras don’t school). What size is your tank?

White skirt and black skirt are the same fish and will schoal together (tetras don’t school). What size is your tank?
Eh, that’s debatable. “Schooling”, is when a large number of fish swim together. “Shoaling” is where fish hang out in a group, but they do their own thing. (Like corys)

They technically do both. :)

Depends on your definition of "school"
Rummynose tetras (Hemigrammus rhodostomus), by my definition, are one of the tightest "schooling" fish I've ever kept

Eh, that’s debatable. “Schooling”, is when a large number of fish swim together. “Shoaling” is where fish hang out in a group, but they do their own thing. (Like corys)

They technically do both. :)
Nope! Schoaling is when fish swim in the same area but will swim away to snoop at something or nibble. They will pull together when startled for protection. Schooling is when they swim together in one direction and then all switch and swim in the same direction at all times. Big difference, my friend. :)

Last edited:
From Wiki...
In biology, any group of fish that stay together for social reasons are shoaling, and if the group is swimming in the same direction in a coordinated manner, they are schooling.[1] In common usage, the terms are sometimes used rather loosely.[1]About one quarter of fish species shoal all their lives, and about one half shoal for part of their lives.[2]

Depends on your definition of "school"
Rummynose tetras (Hemigrammus rhodostomus), by my definition, are one of the tightest "schooling" fish I've ever kept
I’ll give you that one. They do stay tightly to each other. Still actually a schoaling.

Last edited:
From Wiki...
In biology, any group of fish that stay together for social reasons are shoaling, and if the group is swimming in the same direction in a coordinated manner, they are schooling.[1] In common usage, the terms are sometimes used rather loosely.[1]About one quarter of fish species shoal all their lives, and about one half shoal for part of their lives.[2]
Would you agree that Harlequin Rasbora’s are schooling fish?

Nope. Schoaling. :) You can find articles that say they school but that’s because people use the 2 words, schooling and schoaling interchangeably out of lack of knowledge. However, technically they schoal. Using the 2 words interchangeably is a pet peeve of mine. I don’t know why, it just is. :)

Last edited:
Here you go...
Rasboras These small shoaling fish are easy to care for, so you shouldn’t have many problems. They can be looked after by people of experience levels.

This makes them perfect for beginners starting a community aquarium. A small group adds some color and shoaling behaviors to the middle levels of the tank.

And yet another describing them as schooling...
The harlequin rasbora is a schooling fish and will be happy with six or more of its own kind! Perhaps you'd hear a fish choir underwater coming from these beautiful fish.

People just don’t know.
This describes the difference very simply..,The schooling is a defense against potential threats. Schooling fish is a group of fish that mimics the movement of a specific or lead fish. The movement is identical. “Schoaling” is a group of fish that forages or swims together in a loose group, but their movements are individual.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back