Scaping A Half Half Tank - Lighting?

webber555

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Aug 15, 2008
Messages
93
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I've recently filled my 70gal and am in the process of adding decor with the fish already in - I've already added most of the substrate and just want an opinion on lighting - I've got one end of the tank sand and will be planted. The other end is gravel with lots of rocks and hiding places. I'm trying to replicate a typical river - plants/rocks/ open swimming in the middle.

Are there any issues mixing substrates? Wouldn't think so but should ask.

Does the watts per gallon rule for lighting apply if I only plant one end? I have a full length (4ft) light. Would adding half sized lights so that it adds more lighting to just the planted side be an issue? It's on;y the direct light that matters, it doesn't get dissolved and fed throughout the water does it...?

cheers.
 
You are correct about the light not being spread much by the water. A little maybe by diffraction but not enough to matter. If you are trying to give a look of a natural environment, it strikes me that it will be darker where the plants are and brighter where there is open water in the real world. You may get the same effect by leaving that 4 ft tube rather than trying to just put bright lights over the plants.
 
Ok, it's not going to be totally authentic - I have a sugar pot as a cave atm! I'm going for sand on the left, with white river stones, plants, some grass covering. The sand gets alittle shallower towards the middle where a large round river rock creates a cave and the river rock bottom begines - this is very natural looking, with lots of different sized rocks. A large piece of wood extends nearly the whole length of the tank and joins the two nicely. I'll get some pics up later in the pics section - it's still a little bare without the plants, but will give an idea...
 
Ok, it's not going to be totally authentic - I have a sugar pot as a cave atm! I'm going for sand on the left, with white river stones, plants, some grass covering. The sand gets alittle shallower towards the middle where a large round river rock creates a cave and the river rock bottom begines - this is very natural looking, with lots of different sized rocks. A large piece of wood extends nearly the whole length of the tank and joins the two nicely. I'll get some pics up later in the pics section - it's still a little bare without the plants, but will give an idea...

PHOTIES PLEASE! :D I like the sound of it!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top