Saving Fish From Uncycled Tank!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SpringHeelMark

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just signed up to the forum. Figured it would be beneficial since I plan to have this hobby for a long time.

So I'm guessing this is an issue that comes up occasionally. I've put fish in an uncycled tank. I believe it's 250 litres.  The list of fish are as follows:

#2 Clown loaches
#3 Balloon mollies
#1 small Gourami
#1 small bala shark (Yep, I plan on getting him a friend, just not in this current situation, trying to keep load down now that I know about the cycle)

So I first noticed that something was up when my mollies were spending time at the top of the tank gasping. That's when I found out about cycling and did a lot of research. 

I've done a few things to minimize the waste in the water and was wondering if I was on the right track. 

I went back to the pet store, they didn't really understand cycling and refused to give me filter media to seed the tank. However I did buy a piece of driftwood with a plant growing on it. It was in a tank with other fish and was in there long enough for a plant to take root so I figure there must be algae on it! I also bought more plants (pictured) to reduce the ammonia/nitrite. I've also been changing the water 25% every other day (did %50 today). I know that doing that will definitely slow down the cycle, I'm just interested in keeping the fish healthy at the moment.

So basically what I've done to fix my mistake:

Plant life
driftwood seed
frequent water changes to keep ammonia down (I add prime to the new water)
checking PH level and adjusting.  

The fish seem very happy now, foraging and nibbling the plants occasionally.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• fish tank.jpg
    fish tank.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 270
Hi and welcome.

To start with, have a read of this, some great advice from TTA there on fish in cycling.

Personally, I'd be keen to go back a step and rehome your stock. Clown loaches and bala sharks are both 12 inch long shoaling species, they're great in big tanks, but grow rapidly to needing a 6 foot tank, so unless you're putting one in in the next month or two you're going to end up with unhappy fish who are struggling in your tank, which isn't really a great start.

Mollies are also fish that like it large, although you should be fine with 250 litres.

Hey, thanks Rob, I have a friend with a huge set up in his garage who said he'd be happy to have the bala shark when it's larger. Didn't know the clown loaches were that large though, I'll have to give those to him too then, when they get bigger which is disappointing. Thanks for the info!

welcomeani.gif
to TFF, SHM!
Hope you manage to get your larger fish rehomed with your friend and just wanted to reiterate what Rob said about returning the fish and starting a fishless cycle. It takes a lot less effort and your fish will thank you for it in the end by being more healthy and living longer.

I've read through the link and it seems like adding more bacteria is the way to go since it's only day 4 of having this tank. Tetra safestart and the Dr. Tims product are only available to me via post (will take too long), I can however get Fluval Biological enhancer. Seems to be a similar product but I can't really find any reviews on it. Can anyone on here vouch for it?

Hey Mamashack, thanks :). Yeah, that might be the way to go, it was a chain store that probably won't take them back, but I'll see if I can house them with my friend.

Just wanted to add that plant in the centre of your tank with the silver patterned leaves is not an aquatic it's a Pilea and will be happier on a windowsill in some compost :) it will eventually rot and pollute your tank if left in there. 

Thanks Betta. Yeah just googled the name. Seems like a scam they can sell that as an aquatic plant..

If your friend has a big tank ask if you could have some of their mature media which contains bacteria, this added to your filter (at least half fill your filter with mature media) will be a great help. You will still need to monitor the water conditions and so water changes if you see ammonia or nitrIte and of course check the nitrate levels. This will save the fish going through a full fish in cycle of the tank.

Hope this helps.

I might add that if your friend can give you some filter material you should put it towards the input end of your filter so the bacteria will seed the rest with the flow; not wishing of course to teach your granny to suck eggs.

I went back to the pet store, they didn't really understand cycling and refused to give me filter media to seed the tank. However I did buy a piece of driftwood with a plant growing on it. It was in a tank with other fish and was in there long enough for a plant to take root so I figure there must be algae on it! I also bought more plants (pictured) to reduce the ammonia/nitrite. I've also been changing the water 25% every other day (did %50 today). I know that doing that will definitely slow down the cycle, I'm just interested in keeping the fish healthy at the moment.

You seem to be well aware of your mistake and doing most of the right things to sort it out. In future I would stay well away from this LFS as they seem to be pretty much useless if they don't understand cycling, it's the lack of knowledge that was apparent in the 1950's and has no place in a modern fish supplier. I like to go to a place where they keep fish of their own at home, I think one gets a head start then.

Hey fishaholic and star4, yeah I grabbed some filter media when I took the Loaches and Bala over, thanks very much for the tip. He couldn't take the mollies however, so I'll just be keeping up with the regular changes until things become stable.

:) it will be much better now you have some mature media :)

Hey everyone, just thought I'd pop in and let you know it's going well. The ammonia seems to handle itself without water changes (0 or very low reading, tested daily) so I've just been doing water changes to keep an eye on the nitrites and nitrates, which are both present now. Balloon Mollies are doing great, only thing I can't keep alive is the plants in the front of the tank, haha. 

its a bit late now but another good tip it you can get mature media from your aquatics centre ! if you ask nicely and i know some places you can buy it :) good luck with your tank it seems like its all coming together now ! 

winner.gif

SpringHeelMark said:
Hey everyone, just thought I'd pop in and let you know it's going well. The ammonia seems to handle itself without water changes (0 or very low reading, tested daily) so I've just been doing water changes to keep an eye on the nitrites and nitrates, which are both present now. Balloon Mollies are doing great, only thing I can't keep alive is the plants in the front of the tank, haha. 

Well done for deciding to rehome the bala sharks and clown loaches :) Once the tank is sorted out and you are ready to add some more fish I would recommend some guppies, platies or tetras or maybe some corydora catfish but not sure how many litres your tank is :/ Good luck anyway :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back