Sanity check for new tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

anewbie

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
This is a new tank i am still planning (approx 13 months out). It will be 8 feet long 4 feet wide and 21 inches high. The target temp will be 81 during winter and 83 during summer. Substrate will be something like caribsea crystal river or torpedo beach at around 3 inches. The plant will be moderately heavily planted wit the middle front 2 feet left mostly open (few anubia). The stocking i was thinking of would include 12 to 14 rams; 10ish biotodoma cupido; 8ish winemilleri and 40 ish cardinals and perhaps 40ish of a second tetra - maybe black neon or lemon. A few random pleco - probably 4 or so blue phantom and last but least 14 sterbai. These are current thoughts though open to alternative or adjustments. I consider the rams and winemilleri the target of the tank and everything else subject to their requirements.

Wow thats a hell of a tank you are planning! Putting the measurements through our calculator thats coming out at 419 gallons!

You've got some of my favourite fish I've kept listed in there with the Cupids and the Winemilleri. I was a little worried the Rams could like it too hot compared to the others but a quick google and it looks like you are on the right track. The stocking sounds really good to me going to be stunning.

With the second school I'd be tempted to go for a schooling fish that stays in the top third like Coral Red Pencil Fish, Hatchet Fish or Splash Tetras. It would be cool to see some of the diversity that a SA tank offers too like headstanders, knife fish, some of the larger tetras like Spotted Emporer Tetras?

Wills

Hum. Not sure the knife fish would think it would prey on smaller tetra. The coral red pencil seem like a good option if they can be found at a reasonable price.

Hum. Not sure the knife fish would think it would prey on smaller tetra. The coral red pencil seem like a good option if they can be found at a reasonable price.
Not one of the bigger ones like BGK but some of the marbled ones stay under 6 inches if you can get the right species - or even just for the Knife Tetras would be a nice contrast for the shape.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back