Sand

JenCliBee

PleC & CorY MaD
Joined
May 4, 2008
Messages
5,933
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
W.Midlands
Hi all was thinking of changing my substrate after many years of having various tpes of gravel i want black sand pref about 1 inch deep :)


how much would i need for a 49 inch x 18 inch tank (1inch depth)? wot sand is the best for general freshwater aquarium (i only keep plecs and cory's)?


Links would be very helpful :) :) :)


Thanx jen
 
argos play sand!! 15kg for 2.49 bargain!! in my lfs its £12 for 5kg
although that is sand colour and not black
 
I just recently switched to [post="0"]Black Flourite Sand[/post] from white gravel in my home tank. I used the whole bag in my 10 gallon, inch and a half to 2 inch coverage.

My corys absolutely LOVE it. 2 of them moved out of a tank with play sand. One of them had been VERY timid and shy in the play sand tank but has been very active and moves all around the tank with the black sand. The difference in that one fish between the two substrates is like night and day. Its kinda more of a potting soil dark-brown/black color than jet black...but I really like it. Its murky as hell though for a few days even after a washing it for 4 hours by letting a garden hose run in a big 30 gallon bin with the sand on the bottom. Took about a week to settle. Bubbler under the surface was a bad idea, it throws sand up all over everything pretty badly unless I keep it on the very very minimum air flow I can manage.
 
argos/tesco playsand, £2.50 for 15kg. unless you want the aesthetic of a different colour, its not really worth looking elsewhere else.
 
cheers all for the replies even tho i asked for black sand lol argos play sand looks naff done it and straight away took it out and went back 2 gravel


was hoping for a few more replies 2 this question from others that have black sand and that have links or know where 2 get it and the different types bt obviously im not with the in crowd 2 get the replies others like others would :(

anyways thanx all for ur rplies much apprieciated :)


jen
 
cheers all for the replies even tho i asked for black sand lol argos play sand looks naff done it and straight away took it out and went back 2 gravel


was hoping for a few more replies 2 this question from others that have black sand and that have links or know where 2 get it and the different types bt obviously im not with the in crowd 2 get the replies others like others would :(

anyways thanx all for ur rplies much apprieciated :)


jen

Me = chopped liver? :P
 
cheers all for the replies even tho i asked for black sand lol argos play sand looks naff done it and straight away took it out and went back 2 gravel


was hoping for a few more replies 2 this question from others that have black sand and that have links or know where 2 get it and the different types bt obviously im not with the in crowd 2 get the replies others like others would :(

anyways thanx all for ur rplies much apprieciated :)


jen

i'm about to also switch over to the black sand flourite, but if you're not going for a planted tank then you can consider

Black Moon Tahitian Sand

from all I read while researching my change to sand, it's the best looking black sand you can get. unfortunately, it's not cheap!
just do a google search for it, most online stores (at least the ones I frequent) sell it :good:
 
Black Moon Tahitian Sand

from all I read while researching my change to sand, it's the best looking black sand you can get. unfortunately, it's not cheap!
just do a google search for it, most online stores (at least the ones I frequent) sell it :good:

Petsmart sells it. ~$25 a 20lb bag. It is pretty black. I almost bought that but decided I might want plants at some point. It had a different brand name on the front but in small type on the back it did say Black Moon Tahitian.
 
Black Moon Tahitian Sand

from all I read while researching my change to sand, it's the best looking black sand you can get. unfortunately, it's not cheap!
just do a google search for it, most online stores (at least the ones I frequent) sell it :good:

Petsmart sells it. ~$25 a 20lb bag. It is pretty black. I almost bought that but decided I might want plants at some point. It had a different brand name on the front but in small type on the back it did say Black Moon Tahitian.


price isnt really an issue and im not really that bothered about plants neither and for the price difference i would prob go for the Black Moon Tahitian Sand works out at around £15 for 20lbs where as the flourite sand is £26 for around 14-16lbs so if im not going for a planted tank then the cheaper 1 sounds a more viable option. :)

thanx all for replies i think uve have made my mind up for me :) lol

thanx jen
 
Black Moon Tahitian Sand

from all I read while researching my change to sand, it's the best looking black sand you can get. unfortunately, it's not cheap!
just do a google search for it, most online stores (at least the ones I frequent) sell it :good:

Petsmart sells it. ~$25 a 20lb bag. It is pretty black. I almost bought that but decided I might want plants at some point. It had a different brand name on the front but in small type on the back it did say Black Moon Tahitian.


price isnt really an issue and im not really that bothered about plants neither and for the price difference i would prob go for the Black Moon Tahitian Sand works out at around £15 for 20lbs where as the flourite sand is £26 for around 14-16lbs so if im not going for a planted tank then the cheaper 1 sounds a more viable option. :)

thanx all for replies i think uve have made my mind up for me :) lol

thanx jen

I paid $16 for the shipping for the flourite. So figure that in as well. If you can find the Black Moon or equivalent locally, you'd be doing good.
 
Black Moon Tahitian Sand

from all I read while researching my change to sand, it's the best looking black sand you can get. unfortunately, it's not cheap!
just do a google search for it, most online stores (at least the ones I frequent) sell it :good:

Petsmart sells it. ~$25 a 20lb bag. It is pretty black. I almost bought that but decided I might want plants at some point. It had a different brand name on the front but in small type on the back it did say Black Moon Tahitian.


price isnt really an issue and im not really that bothered about plants neither and for the price difference i would prob go for the Black Moon Tahitian Sand works out at around £15 for 20lbs where as the flourite sand is £26 for around 14-16lbs so if im not going for a planted tank then the cheaper 1 sounds a more viable option. :)

thanx all for replies i think uve have made my mind up for me :) lol

thanx jen

I paid $16 for the shipping for the flourite. So figure that in as well. If you can find the Black Moon or equivalent locally, you'd be doing good.


ill have 2 have a look only 2day decided 2 change over so a nice busy weekend ahead looking round LFS 2 see wot can be found lol (Like it's a bad thing lol ) cant wait lol
 

Most reactions

Back
Top