Sand

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

clareriley

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have 2 lake Malawi Cichlid books and in both it says to only put 1cm to 1inch of sand in the bottom as this will make better cleaning of the sand and it will help the fish as they dig and dig and dig... is this right? Im cycling the tank with goldfish at the moment and it has much more sand than that in it.

I've found that a thick layer of sand gets pretty nasty in the lower regions since anaerobic bacteria love growing in it. But not enough sand, and you'll see the glass bottom when your fish start their construction projects. In my opinion, it's easier to add sand as your tank settles in than take sand out (which gets awfully mucky and risks releasing huge populations of bacteria into the water) So, I would start with half an inch of sand....see how it goes, and add sand as needed or desired. Lather, rinse, repeat. :p

BAHHHH :crazy:
I say it's your own preference!
I've got sand in all but one tank and in each the depth ranges 2-4 inches.
As long as your stirring from time to time to release any possible gas build up your fine!
To me, nothing more unappealing then seeeing the bare bottom of a tank :no:

i would have to agree with mamafish, i have about two and a half inch of sand in my main malawi tank and i find this ok. just make sure any heavy rocks or piles of rocks are placed or buried well into the sand because malawis can dig for fun!.

BAHHHH :crazy:
I say it's your own preference!
I've got sand in all but one tank and in each the depth ranges 2-4 inches.
As long as your stirring from time to time to release any possible gas build up your fine!
To me, nothing more unappealing then seeeing the bare bottom of a tank :no:

how often do you stir it? is every 2 weeks often enough?

I have a Python system and with every W/C I'm stirring & vacuuming up the gunk & goo :sick:
Its hard to describe but I make tiny little mounds by doing so.

Depends on filteration and stocking levels but around 10%-25% per week is a good amount along with a good graval vac. Every so often its good to re-arange the rocks aroung too.

luckily i have been changing water every week and changing around 20% which looks like its ok. i thought that it was better to change rocks round if new fish are added to the tank?, i was under the impression that malawis like to keep and shall we say defend a particular territory, or is this really only when they are showing signs of breeding?.

10% is on the LOW side,
I've been doing this for a few years and find that 30%-45% every week keeps my tanks running smooth & crystal clean.
Filters (cleaning) are rotated so benibac is never too low.
If you maintain a good w/c system soon will come a time when you cant even remember the last time you tested your water.

Yes it is good to re-arange when adding new fish and also every so often because it keep the fish more active trying to make and find there new tritory . Unless you have a fish that cant have its teritory re-aranged.

Well thanks guys.. I have a syphon thingy that I use in my normal community tank for my gravil will this be good for the sand? im so new and still dont think im ready for Cichlids. im scared I will buy them and they all die.. im so so so like I need to know all I can and I have 2 books and read them 10 times over in the bath and looked everywhere. arrrghhh.. Im getting the hood and the light and heater at the end of the month and rocks and such. then I will put the rocks in, put the goldfish back in there tank, stick the heater in.. let it settle. teast the water, if its ok then i will add fish.. i think.. maybe not.. if I dont think im ready then I wont.. im scared of going to the stage 2 of tropical.. arrgh help... :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back