Sand, Then Water?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nosphaer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This is such a stupid question, but I'm too scared to take a guess at this, and I couldn't find a thread on the topic in the first 2 pages, when searching for "Add the sand first"

For my 40Gallon Breeder, would it be cleaner to add the sand and pour water over it, or should I try to add in water, then add sand?

I did mine in an inch of water and there was still a bit of water in the bucket with the sand, so by the time I was done there was about 2 inches of water in there. If you dump the sand into a tank full of water it would probably stay cloudy an extra few days....Even being really careful mine stayed cloudy for 2

put the sand in first, then add the water. USe something like a dinner plate to deflect the direct flow of the hose, watering can or whatver you are filling the tank with so that you minimize sand disturbance and it doesn't take it ages to settle again.

put the sand in first, then add the water. USe something like a dinner plate to deflect the direct flow of the hose, watering can or whatver you are filling the tank with so that you minimize sand disturbance and it doesn't take it ages to settle again.

I'm glad you gave me verification. I got the exact same advice from another credible source, and I appreciate it seeming so trustworthy ^^

this is how I did it. Hose into a bucket that was sat on a plate. Barely moved the sand.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/368583-the-slow-burner-pics-vid-2108/page__st__60__p__3094039#entry3094039

If you put a few inches of water in the tank first it stops air bubbles getting in the sand. If you've rinsed the sand properly it won't go cloudy at all.

Thanks for all the help, everyone. I'm happy to say that sand, water, and a strong dose of dechlorinator have all been added.

I'm going to begin fishless cycling tomorrow, (Wish me luck, please) which is exciting to think about.

I have a picture below, and I want the terrible phone camera quality to be ignored, as there is no real clouding apparent. I'll introduce the filter and heater tonight, I suppose.

25tapnp.jpg

Most reactions

Back