Sand Substrate

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

orangegecko

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I finally got my tank today and am looking to get some white sand for it (46 gallon bowfront).  Any suggestions on a brand?  What is the difference between sand and aragonite?  I see that in a lot of stores.  I am also assuming I don't need live sand as it is going to be a FW tank.

I use pool filter sand when I want a lighter substrate.  You can get 50lbs for around $15.  Just rinse it really good.   Can't beat it for the price.

Even finer sand from home depot or lowes is play sand 50 pounds for 5 USD. In my 55 gallon ele nose tank.

I use playsand, it isnt super duper light, but its nice. It looks dark when you are rinsing it, but it is surprisingly light in the aquarium, just make sure to rinse multiple times. I rinsed once for 30 mins and once for 15 mins, and it wasnt enough, I would rinse for about an hour total, stirring around the sand too

the thing with sand, once you are rinsing it and think you are done.. repeat the rinse another 10 times.. trust me you don't want a murky tank :/ 

Yea made that mistake did each load about 4 times only... murky for like 3 days

sawickib said:
Even finer sand from home depot or lowes is play sand 50 pounds for 5 USD. In my 55 gallon ele nose tank.

Do you have any pics of it in your tank?
EllieJellyEllie said:
I use playsand, it isnt super duper light, but its nice. It looks dark when you are rinsing it, but it is surprisingly light in the aquarium, just make sure to rinse multiple times. I rinsed once for 30 mins and once for 15 mins, and it wasnt enough, I would rinse for about an hour total, stirring around the sand too

Do you have any pictures of the play sand in the tank?  I stopped over to Lowes and Homedepot and it looked a little dark for my liking...

I agree that in the tank playsand is lighter than it looks in the bag. But it's cheap.
You can find really white pool filter sand, but it is a bit more expensive.
And I agree, once you are done rinsing, do it all over again. And turn off the filter until sure all has settled.

orangegecko said:

Do you have any pics of it in your tank?

EllieJellyEllie said:

Do you have any pictures of the play sand in the tank?  I stopped over to Lowes and Homedepot and it looked a little dark for my liking...

Yes, here is one 

IMG_2277_zps4368afca.jpg
This is the tank without flash, which is the sands real color in my tank, sorry about the glare and the tank in general, needs a clean and a rsscape :p

thanks for the pictures guys!  I'll investigate the pool filter sand tomorrow if the pool stores are open.

O btw my tank is full of tannins right now so thats why its so dark

Just finished cleaning my sand!  Tomorrow the filter and heater come and I'll start to fill it! 
yahoo.gif

Awesome.  Can't wait to see how it turns out.
smile.png

Ryan10 said:
I use pool filter sand when I want a lighter substrate.  You can get 50lbs for around $15.  Just rinse it really good.   Can't beat it for the price.

Went to the pool store and told the guy I was going to use the pool filter sand for my tank and he ended up giving me a deal on it!  A 50lb bag was $8.50, he gave it to me for $4!  He then told me he had a salt water tank with a bunch of fish.

Most reactions

Back