Sand Substrate With Plants

Just_Another_One

Fishaholic
Joined
Apr 5, 2007
Messages
575
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver, Canada
I'm going to be setting up a new tank tomarrow :drool: and I was wondering about the substrate I'd like to have for it.

The tank will need to be planted(the only way to go) and I would like to try sand in this one as my other 2 tanks just have black gravel.

Will the roots be able to grow and establish themselves in the sand like they do gravel, or is it just asking for trouble and they plants wont make it??

Anyone have just regular sand in planted tanks?

Thanks
 
I do...I like sand better TBH, and the plants dont seem to have a problem, if fact some of them like it better. ^_^

Good luck!
 
I use sand in all my tanks except the 75 gallon which has Eco Complete in it. If you like black gravel, check out the Tahitian Moon Sand. It is black. That's the only sand I use.
 
Yep,there's loads of folks sucessfully grow amazing plated taks in sand.You'll just need to do a bit of research on your plants before you buy them.
Some plants take nutrients from the water column so they'll be ok with just a general liquid fertiliser,others are root feeders,so you can buy root fertilser tabs to tuck under them.(And with sand,just remember to stir through regularly to stop bacteria building up).
 
plants can be grown in sand just as good as gravel, it is easier to plant in sand due to it being more compact, and any waste will rest on top for easy siphoning.
 
Thanks everyone for your advice.

It is good to hear that the plants will indeed like the sand as im eager to try it.

I do like the effect of the black gravel in my other tanks so i think I will go for the tahitian moon sand RDD suggested...

Is it smooth like other sands as i will have some cories and maybe a pleco in this tank and i dont want to cut up there mouths with sharp bits?

As well, for sand does the same rule follow for 1lb of sand per gallon? same as gravel or is it a different forumula to follow.

I have to treck in about 2 feet of snow to get to the fish store and i would hate to not have enough sand and have to make the treck again later.

Thanks
 
It is very smooth sand and corys should love it. I don't have corys but do have 3 kuhli loaches and they love it. As far as coverage, I just did some quick, rough calculations on some I have in a bucket. It looks like a 20lb bag would probably be about 240 cubic inches. So figure out the area of the bottom of the tank (a standard 29 gallon is 30"x12" or 360 sq inches). Multiple that by the depth you want the sand and you have the volume in cubic inches. So if you had a 29 gallon and wanted 2" of sand, you would have 360*2=720 cubic inches which should take about 3 bags.

Mind you, this is rough as I'm measuring what's in the bucket and how much that bucket weights (based on a digital bathroom scale). I would say that if anything, you would need less than the calculations indicate as I am probably erring on the high side.
 
It is very smooth sand and corys should love it. I don't have corys but do have 3 kuhli loaches and they love it. As far as coverage, I just did some quick, rough calculations on some I have in a bucket. It looks like a 20lb bag would probably be about 240 cubic inches. So figure out the area of the bottom of the tank (a standard 29 gallon is 30"x12" or 360 sq inches). Multiple that by the depth you want the sand and you have the volume in cubic inches. So if you had a 29 gallon and wanted 2" of sand, you would have 360*2=720 cubic inches which should take about 3 bags.

Mind you, this is rough as I'm measuring what's in the bucket and how much that bucket weights (based on a digital bathroom scale). I would say that if anything, you would need less than the calculations indicate as I am probably erring on the high side.

wow thats quite the math problem there eh RDD, most of that didnt make sence to me(the math that is) but good advice none the less, thanks

I went out earlier and bought the tahetian moon sand, they only had 20lb bags of it and i belive it was $27.99CAD. Not the cheapest stuff but boy does it ever look awesome.

I love it and so do my new cories who are having a blast playing around in it.

I still have half a bag full since i only set up a 10 gallon so I may just have to use the rest and change over all my other tanks aswell.

This black moon sand sure does put the regular black gravel i have in my other tanks to shame.

thanks to RDD for the great reccomendation.
 
rdd's calculation may be more accurate, but an easier way to do it if you know the size of the bags in litres is:

L(cm) x W x D (of substrate) / 1000 = litres

if we know the litre of the substrate (e.g. 10l bag) we can add this onto to give:

l x w x d(of substrate) / 1000 / 10 = number of bags needed.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top