Sand Substrate and Live Plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I know, paradise right?

I think NZ is the only place I've been tempted to relocate to. The water there look unreal!

(Internet search pics)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200926-102739.png
    Screenshot_20200926-102739.png
    800.6 KB · Views: 52
Being brought up in south west Lancashire in the 1950s and 60s, we went to Blackpool (on the Irish Sea!) for our summer holidays. Beautiful clean sand and seawater. In the 1980s when our children were small, we went to Blackpool for a day trip. What a difference. The sand was covered in a horrible black mud. We've not been back since.

I just googled it :wub: wow!
Very Lucky. New Zealand is very lucky, when covid is over come over and have a look. We have a creek running through our place with three species of Galaxia, fresh water crays and eels. This is the pond I put in three years ago

Attachments

• 125.jpg
    125.jpg
    565.3 KB · Views: 57
That pollution is horrific in Mersey. My local water is pretty nice & thankfully I'm nowhere near any flood plains. Think it's a salmon river, some otters & kingfishers. (Internet pics)

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    9.3 KB · Views: 56
  • mulkear-lampreys.jpg
    mulkear-lampreys.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 57
  • clare-glens-co-limerick-ireland-irish-the-irish-image-collection- (1).jpg
    clare-glens-co-limerick-ireland-irish-the-irish-image-collection- (1).jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 52
  • clare-glens-waterfall-mark-callanan.jpg
    clare-glens-waterfall-mark-callanan.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 104
The English rivers are terrible, I'm lucky that I have some nice fast flowing rivers that have been peat filtered near me, almost as black as guiness, working out if I can sustainably set up a UV sterilising system so I can make use of it.
In fact work is fed from a river collecting cistern up the mountain and also has an open cistern built into the river to provide a swimming pool. Though I have the sluice fully open at the moment due to the rocks and soil that wash into it.
View from the peak to the south of me, that's Glenariff closer and Cushendall a bit further on, I live in Cushendall. The pier you can make out used to be where the Campletown ferry ran from.
home.jpg

Last edited:
Even though our surroundings look beautiful, they hide a lot of pollutants. We only have creeks where the schools are trying to re-introduce salmon, but the scale is really insignificant. Can't touch the water from the harbor because it is contaminated with creosote. I would not risk putting anything from outside into the aquarium, even though I have been tempted by their beauty.

Makes our tap water look stellar:sick::-(

Thought I would show you couple of photos of the creek that runs through our place. The Galaxia in this creek are completely nocturnal, so you never see anything in it during the day. The banks of the creek are covered in Glow worms. It is a fun place to go at night.

Attachments

• 20200927_135426.jpg
    20200927_135426.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20200927_135451.jpg
    20200927_135451.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 54

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back