Salvinia starting to brown

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
My Salvinia has started to brown not bad just the odd leaf or two and bees growth is happening daily is this a lightning issue or nutrient? Iv been leaning towards nutrition and plant growth has slowed all round , but there are dark areas of my tank as I wanted two lamps of light rather than a strip that covers the whole tank and not all can get good light , I only ask the question as I’m willing to buy a new light but not prepared to feed the plants nutrients as there whole purpose for me was to take away the excess nutrients in the water

While it is true that some plants can manage on the natural nutrients from feeding fish, it depends upon the plants and the fish load. But even so, all the necessary nutrients (there are 17) may not be available, and this will affect plant growth. Faster growing plants (all floating plants are fast growers) naturally will need more nutrients than slower-growers like Java Fern, mosses, Anubias, etc. There is no harm to fish using a comprehensive supplement provided it is not overdosed. There is also substrate fertilizers like Seachem's Flourish Tabs. These are remarkably good for substrate-rooted plants like swords. And the nutrients do not leech into the water column, but remain in the substrate where plant roots assimilate them. No benefit for floating plants like Salvinia obviously.

To the brown, the light intensity can cause this, but also a lack of certain nutrients. I would try a comprehensive supplement such s Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium, or another near-identical product is Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti. If you are in the UK, there is TNC Light.

While it is true that some plants can manage on the natural nutrients from feeding fish, it depends upon the plants and the fish load. But even so, all the necessary nutrients (there are 17) may not be available, and this will affect plant growth. Faster growing plants (all floating plants are fast growers) naturally will need more nutrients than slower-growers like Java Fern, mosses, Anubias, etc. There is no harm to fish using a comprehensive supplement provided it is not overdosed. There is also substrate fertilizers like Seachem's Flourish Tabs. These are remarkably good for substrate-rooted plants like swords. And the nutrients do not leech into the water column, but remain in the substrate where plant roots assimilate them. No benefit for floating plants like Salvinia obviously.

To the brown, the light intensity can cause this, but also a lack of certain nutrients. I would try a comprehensive supplement such s Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium, or another near-identical product is Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti. If you are in the UK, there is TNC Light.
Iv only got a bit of jungle val rooted so not really keen on root tabs as I’m fairly confident that the fish waste and decaying leaves will provide enough nutrients for those but they are fairly shaded but so are the Salvinia my hydroponic monstera and peace lily are getting huge and are blocking light from my aquatic plants but I don’t know weather the growth of my terrestrial is more beneficial that the growth of my aquatic

My Salvinia has started to brown not bad just the odd leaf or two and bees growth is happening daily is this a lightning issue or nutrient?
I saw that in my salvinia. At the time it was a phosphate deficiency. but a shortage of other nutrients my create similar problems. Salvinia has access to air so CO2 is not an issue and they can handle high light or low light. That leaves only nutrients. Slow too no growth is generally a good indication of a nutrient deficiency

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back