Saltwater Tank Equipment

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

redtailshark34

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys!
For my birthday this year, I wanted to ask for a saltwater tank but am curious as to what equipment I will need. Iā€™ve read and so far this is what Iā€™ve come up with that I need:
-live rock
-power head
-protein skimmer
-ocean salt to make saltwater
-hydrometer
-sand
-filter
-heater
-lights
It would be in a 37 gallon tank long and recommendations please :)

Here is a list and the price for almost all of the stuff you need:

• Hydrometer/Refractometer ($16-$20 - I suggest getting the refractometer)
  • Salt ($50 - treats 160 gallons of water and will last you a really long time)
  • Bottled Bacteria ($16)
  • Sand ($20)
  • Powerhead ($15)
  • Food ($17)
  • Rock - you will need both dry and live rock. You should only need 1 piece of live rock and 8-10 pieces of dry rock, depending on how you want your scape to look. Price of rock varies, but you can expect to spend at least $60.
  • Light (this one is really optional at this point and there are a TON of options out there)
  • Heater ($15)
  • Filter ($45 - I recommend the Seachem Tidal 35)
Have you kept freshwater tanks/fish before?

You donā€™t need a protein skimmer.

Here is a list and the price for almost all of the stuff you need:

• Hydrometer/Refractometer ($16-$20 - I suggest getting the refractometer)
  • Salt ($50 - treats 160 gallons of water and will last you a really long time)
  • Bottled Bacteria ($16)
  • Sand ($20)
  • Powerhead ($15)
  • Food ($17)
  • Rock - you will need both dry and live rock. You should only need 1 piece of live rock and 8-10 pieces of dry rock, depending on how you want your scape to look. Price of rock varies, but you can expect to spend at least $60.
  • Light (this one is really optional at this point and there are a TON of options out there)
  • Heater ($15)
  • Filter ($45 - I recommend the Seachem Tidal 35)
Have you kept freshwater tanks/fish before?

You donā€™t need a protein skimmer.
Yes Iā€™ve kept fish and freshwater tanks before. I have an established 20 gallon (been running for about two years) that has happy fish in it that have been in it for about a year and a half. Iā€™m also currently cycling a 55 gallon for some new guys to come in. My birthday isnā€™t for quite sometime, but I wanted to start looking into it now to be prepared. I love what youā€™ve done with your saltwater tank and enjoy following the thread :) Thank you for the reply and I appreciate the help.

Ok, sweet!

Itā€™s good to be prepared, even if your birthday is a while away. I would focus on research. Bulk Reef Supply (BRS) has some excellent beginner saltwater videos.

Knowledge is very valuable! If you have any more questions, just ask. :)

Ok, sweet!

Itā€™s good to be prepared, even if your birthday is a while away. I would focus on research. Bulk Reef Supply (BRS) has some excellent beginner saltwater videos.

Knowledge is very valuable! If you have any more questions, just ask. :)
Okay thank you! I will definitely check out the site.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back