Saltwater aquarium startup fish on day 1

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aquaton

Reaction score
I have a guy here claiming he can start his saltwater aquarium from day one and that I should do it too. His method is: Put in bacteria starter and fish in, on day one. I think this sounds very wrong, what do you guys think? He is also claiming to be using ICP tests.

I'm not an expert on marine tanks, but that does sound wrong.
The trouble is that many bacterial starters tell you to add fish immediately. For example, API Quick Start for marine aquariums says "enables you to start your aquarium immediately, allowing for the instant addition of fish as it kick-starts the natural aquarium cycle." As with fresh water Quick Start, I doubt it works instantly but many new fishkeepers will believe what they write.

I have a guy here claiming he can start his saltwater aquarium from day one and that I should do it too. His method is: Put in bacteria starter and fish in, on day one. I think this sounds very wrong, what do you guys think? He is also claiming to be using ICP tests.
When I started up my saltwater tank I used a quick start liquid (don’t remember the exact brand) but I waited a week before adding fish. I did this to monitor levels and make sure it wasn’t a fake cycle.

Hello. By adding a few, small fish in the beginning, you have to commit to removing and replacing the water every few days to stay ahead of the toxins produced by the fish waste, because there is no bacteria colony to do that job. If you can remove the toxins well before there's time for them to build up, then I could definitely see how this approach to tank cycling could work. I mean, I do the same thing to start up my fresh water tanks.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

You can do it if you know what you are doing and if you use natural seawater and fill the tank with live rock from the ocean. Then you add a couple of small fish and don't feed them for a month. Monitor ammonia and nitrite levels and be prepared to do 90% water changes any day you have an ammonia reading above 0ppm.

You can't do it if you use artificial marine salts and don't add live rock. Artificial marine salts need to be mixed for at least 24 hours before use to make sure all the minerals are completely dissolved in the water. You need the live rock to provide the filter bacteria.

For the average person, setting up a marine tank and adding fish straight away is a quick way to waste money and kill a heap of fish. If you want to set up a marine tank, do a fishless cycle.

It's been since the 1980s since I've done salt but back then you DID start out with fish right away but only specific types. Also I had the advantage of having a store that would supply a starter culture of 'live gravel'. They started me off with a couple of damsels, a puffer, a clown and a couple of anemone to produce ammonia. The starter culture of gravel would get things going and they would buy back the 'starter fish' as a store credit for the fish you wanted.

Sadly you will probably be hard pressed to find a store that will do the live gravel culture today so I have to say that putting fish in right away is not a good idea unless you want to do a LOT of water changes. Also you will have to match the salinity of the new water to the tank. You will need a Hydrometer or Refractometer to test the salinity. A Hydrometer is easier.

If this is your first salt tank I should add that you only add salt when doing water changes, NOT when just replacing water lost due to evaporation. Water evaporates, salt does not.

Thank you guys, I knew there was something off with his reasoning!

Most reactions

Back