Sailfin Molly Pop Eye? Help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

blueboy1

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Request Help as my sailfin molly i recently got had got a lump on edge of left eye i think its pop ee but i dont know any treatments i can use and my fish store is closed now till tuesday, what can i due to slow discomfort down for the fish as i dont of course want to lose it only had it a few days but i am due a water change as missed last weeks as i was on holiday and brother didnt help me out there! I have notice a few other fish flashed on substrate so i will d a hefty water change today to make up for lost time but please help!!

Tank size:200l
pH:6.9
ammonia:0
nitrite:0
nitrate:20
tank temp:27

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): Cloudy lump on outside top edge of left eye, think its pop eye, normal behaviour but began lingering around top few inches of tank.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: once weekly 30%

Tank inhabitants: Variety of livebearers

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): 2 sailfin mollies and 3 female guppies

Exposure to chemicals:non
Digital photo (include if possible): will add later

i have also just noticed that it has two red wounds on the top of it, should i euthenise (sorry spelt it wrong) ?? I am either taking it back or putting it out of its misery last thing i need is another ill fish being left with me and infecting the entire tank.

Popeye is not contageous, it is usually a secondary bacterial infection. Can you isolate the fish at all? If your LFS is not open until Tuesday and you do not have anything else available do daily wc to keep further infection down.

If you have a way of isolating the fish do so, you do not need a filter for a hospital tank if you are doing daily water changes.

Anti internal bacteria medication by interpet.

Thank you all! I have isolated her in a net fry grow on thing and she seems fine I was worried it may pop as the eye looks very swolen, is it possible it was in a fight or injured in some way as I noticed 2 wounds on the top of the fish which were very red an after isolation have cleared up but seems like there is scaleless patches left behind, will the scales grow back as I feel if this fish is released back to the main tank it will just be attacked again and killed, i do not know who would attack it as my stock it livebearers and 5 neons and a female fighter and a bn but before adding the sailfins nothing has happened like this previously, it has bred many times too but I'm more worried that the infection or injury will never go?

Yes fluid behind the eye can make eyes pop.
The scales should grow back.
I would half dose some salt till you get the medication.
Had a good link to popeye but it;s no longer available.
Leave you this instead. Fish Disease Net.

Exophthalmia (a.k.a. Pop-Eye)    
stethoscope.jpg

Symptoms:

Fish with exophthalmia will have eyes that are abnormally enlarged and protrude from their sockets. In severe cases the eyes may actually burst from the socket, leaving the fish eyeless. Eye swelling is caused by a build up of fluids in or behind the eye.

microscope.jpg

Cause: 

There can be any number of causes for this condition. Possible causes include poor water quality, bacterial infections, viral infections, eye flukes or other parasitic infestations, or piscine tuberculosis. Even though the fish may recover, the protruding eye may remain that way. This should not adversely affect that fish.

Rx.jpg

Treatment: 

Since there are so many possible causes a broad-spectrum antibiotic is recommended, such as Tetracycline, but this treatment cannot obviously guarantee success. Be sure to keep water quality in good condition.

i dont have aquarium salt either :( just have to do daily changes until tuesday, do you think these injuries could have been inflicted by another fish at all?

Did you get a medication?
Household salt fine to use.
Have you seen any agression in the tank?

Yes I got meds I ended up with and fungus and foneot as fish appeared to have cotton mouth and in 2 days I am to add aib and 4 days later redose I also got stress coat and zyme to use at each water change so thanks ever so much for all help, just need to treat and should be ok I hope. Will keep you updated on the fish. It started with wound on back which progressed to eye swelling which has since gone back to normal, redness gone from wounds so just recovery and to get rid of cotton mouth. Fish is eating again and no longer lethargic. Thanks again and will post back soon

Is it called anti finrot and fungus medication by interpet. If so be careful as some fish can have a bad reaction to the medication.

Is the fish still improving?

Yes the cotton mouth had gone after I treated for fungus, it was actually a different brand, ntlabs and was very affective! No fish reactions and just a one time treatment which must be left five aus before adding another treatment which will be interpet aib :) thanks again since the fish was quarantines in a fry net it has lost eye swelling and scales on repair so happy as it's heavily pregnant!

That's good to hear.
Thank You.
Good Luck.
Hope she has a sucessful birth soon.

Thanks, for all your help! I seriously stress out when a fish is ill. Oh and my other "fish emergencies" when fish died an had no tail was actually a aggressive swordtail attacking them as I witnessed myself, I have since given him away to a species breeder.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back