Sad to see this...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sharkweek178

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I took my girlfriend to a Chinese restaurant the other night. The kind that has a fish tank. This one had two. One was crammed full of some pretty awesome cichlids. There were tiger oscars and convicts. Poor things were way overcrowded though. They had another tank with a few guppies and glo fish too. The maitre d got visibly annoyed with me for spending so much time looking at the fish. I was like "Why would you have awesome fish on display if you didn't want people to look at them?". We ended up leaving because the waitress wasn't too polite either. Next place we went to had a koi pond under the entrance walkway. You walked over thick glass tiles directly over the fish. That place was pretty loud. The fish looked pretty well cared for but that just seemed like a bad environment for them.
I felt bad for the fish in both places. Neither one was a good environment for them. One was too loud and the other overcrowded the tank.

My gf went to an appointment recently and the waiting room had a big fish tank. She called me concerned about the fish. She said they kept swimming to the top of the tank to breathe. I got her to send me a picture. I then assured her that they were gouramis and this was normal behavior for them.

I've seen places like this, often the tanks are put in as an architectural feature and the maintenance is farmed out to a company or 'consultant'. The fish are really in their hands, sometimes the fish get moved around quite a lot so are not in the same tank for their whole lives, but they are at the whim of the company doing it.

I've seen the koi under tiles before too but not in a restaurant for about 25 years haha I just remember it at a place when I was a kid. To make you cringe even more though... one of the fish stores near me actually has this set up in the store!

Wills

That is terrible these places should know better. I bet that the ammonia and GH is all wrong

I've seen places like this, often the tanks are put in as an architectural feature and the maintenance is farmed out to a company or 'consultant'. The fish are really in their hands, sometimes the fish get moved around quite a lot so are not in the same tank for their whole lives, but they are at the whim of the company doing it.

I've seen the koi under tiles before too but not in a restaurant for about 25 years haha I just remember it at a place when I was a kid. To make you cringe even more though... one of the fish stores near me actually has this set up in the store!

Wills
There's a pretty large aquarium store in the area that does aquarium maintenance. I don't know about any other companies that do that. I have to wonder if there's enough of a market for too many companies to be in that business.

Years ago before my first heart attack I would go to the local fish and chip shop (for the New Zealanders, the fush n chup shop). I didn't buy fish, only chips, pineapple fritters and chiko rolls (look it up).

They had a 6 foot long Rift Lake tank in the shop and the fish were always hiding. One day I said to the staff, "I know why your fish are always hiding". The owner says "why?" I said "They are fish in a fish and chip shop, what do you think?"

It took them a few minutes to click but they eventually got it.

In the case of the glass tiled place.. don't fish eventually get used to noisy/busy environments? Crammed tanks at restaurants seems the norm, and those intoo find annoying and careless. Then again, these are people in the food business , the tanks are decorations and one would hope that at least someone there cares enough to feed them and monitor the water. At least

Years ago before my first heart attack I would go to the local fish and chip shop (for the New Zealanders, the fush n chup shop). I didn't buy fish, only chips, pineapple fritters and chiko rolls (look it up).
This made me laugh so hard :rofl:

Could be my next-door Neighbour, I would never know.
If you live in the United States sure ;) but I don’t live in NZ anymore. Although considering moving back, at least temporarily, to get away from the PNW winter which flares my disease so badly

If you live in the United States sure ;) but I don’t live in NZ anymore. Although considering moving back, at least temporarily, to get away from the PNW winter which flares my disease so badly
Live in New Zealand during the American winter and go back to the states during the Kiwi winter. Stay with your rellies and when you get back to the states, people will say "are you ozz trai lian?"
You can say "Nah mate, I'm a bloody Kiwi".
They will go "WTFuplie?"

Live in New Zealand during the American winter and go back to the states during the Kiwi winter. Stay with your rellies and when you get back to the states, people will say "are you ozz trai lian?"
You can say "Nah mate, I'm a bloody Kiwi".
They will go "WTFuplie?"
Exactly :rofl:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back