?s - CaribSea Eco Complete Planted Substrate

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FoxChase

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Never used before. Substrate in bag is very soaked.
Should I rinse? Strain?
Will this quickly dirty my filter? (Heard it clouds water at first)
Do I need to use plant tabs also with this substrate?
Also, won't be using entire 20 lb bag, can I store remainder?

1. I prefer to rinse any substrate that I know will cloud up the water.
2. I'd say so.
3. Yes, Eco Complete is inert, meaning it has little to know nutrients for the plants.
4. Yes, you can store it for later use.

1. I prefer to rinse any substrate that I know will cloud up the water.
2. I'd say so.
3. Yes, Eco Complete is inert, meaning it has little to know nutrients for the plants.
4. Yes, you can store it for later use.
Thanks for your help!! 🤩

I personally would not use Eco-complete. It does not provide much (if any, it is hard to tell) nutrients or benefits for plants, and many have said plant additives are still needed. But even more important, it is rough, and too rough for substrate fish, so depending what fish you have/intend, it may not work.

I bought it because it was recommended as a good substrate for bettas/planted tanks.
Seems like people either love it or hate it.
Anyhow, I'm stuck with 20 lbs of it and need to use it. 😕
Will be eventually getting a betta and a dory after the tank is planted and more established.

I bought it because it was recommended as a good substrate for bettas/planted tanks.
Seems like people either love it or hate it.
Anyhow, I'm stuck with 20 lbs of it and need to use it. 😕
Will be eventually getting a betta and a dory after the tank is planted and more established.

Thisis a bit different. The substrate will not hurt a betta, and you can judge the plants' response and proceed accordingly.

What is a dory? If this is a typo for "cory," no...you cannot have cories over these substrates. I had Flourite several years ago--I foolishly listened to those who recommended EC and Flourite--and in my hand Flourite seemed smooth (EC was very rough in my hand). But within a week, the cories were taken out of this tank because they had lost their barbels and one poor panda even lost about a third of its lower jaw, due to the roughness of the Flourite. Bacteria may have played into this too, but doesn't matter, cories cannot be housed over plant substrates for any one of several reasons.

The panda survived by the way, for seven or eight years after, once he and the others were in a tank with play sand. Looked odd, missing part of its lower jaw, but it obviously managed to eat.

Thisis a bit different. The substrate will not hurt a betta, and you can judge the plants' response and proceed accordingly.

What is a dory? If this is a typo for "cory," no...you cannot have cories over these substrates. I had Flourite several years ago--I foolishly listened to those who recommended EC and Flourite--and in my hand Flourite seemed smooth (EC was very rough in my hand). But within a week, the cories were taken out of this tank because they had lost their barbels and one poor panda even lost about a third of its lower jaw, due to the roughness of the Flourite. Bacteria may have played into this too, but doesn't matter, cories cannot be housed over plant substrates for any one of several reasons.

The panda survived by the way, for seven or eight years after, once he and the others were in a tank with play sand. Looked odd, missing part of its lower jaw, but it obviously managed to eat.
Oh my!!
Yes Cory not Dory 🥴
Shrimp OK?

Oh my!!
Yes Cory not Dory 🥴
Shrimp OK?

Betta will eat shrimp, sometimes, depending on the shrimp and the betta. The shrimp-keepers (I am not one of them) can advise more on this.

Any suggestions besides a snail?

Unfortunately no. Snails are your best option for algae, but this involves common green algae or diatoms (brown). Nothing suited to this tank, including snails, will tackle "problem" algae if that should arise. But fortunately problem algae in a planted tank can be handled by maintenance and balance in the light/nutrients.

I know this is a typo for cory.
Cories are shoaling fish, which means at least 6 of them, and with the three dwarf species, you would need at least 10. And a much larger tank with sand on the bottom.

How about this - covering the all the exposed layer of Eco with a smooth, polished type of betta bowl gravel?
A thin layer, applied after tank is planted.
Gravel size is approximately 5 mm.
?
I had my heart set on an Upside-down Cory 😏
Had a one in my GF tank, he did great. Was always busy and bright.

What's an upside down cory? You don't mean this fish, do you? Look at the size tank it needs

All cories are shoaling fish and it is cruel to keep one alone. Even the smallest species need a tank at least 18 inches long x 12 inches wide, but bigger is better.

Interesting! I had my guy for almost 5 yrs and he was under 2". The patterning is similar, mine was lighter colored.
He was in a 58 gal.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back