Rummy nose aren’t well

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aquajournalny

Reaction score
I bought 19 rummy nose tetras the about five days ago. I’m relatively new to the hobby so I’ve only recently been introduced to the idea of quarantining fish. I quarantined them for three days, treating them with metroplex to hopefully handle any illness or ailments they could’ve had. After moving them to my 75 gallon community, I’m left with 8 rummy nose and now 3 of my neon tetras have passed as well. I’m treating the entire tank now with metroplex just in case. I’m really upset and bummed out, anyone have any ideas as to what could be going on, what I could’ve done, or what I could do now? Thanks so much.

Sounds familiar. I added fish to my mint tank n lots of fish died which was devastating. I treated with salt, marine salt, which I got told was bad for my fish, so I bought the correct salt and added that. Then I found out that salt is bad for neons n corys which wasn't ever mentioned here. So in my attempt to treat a problem , I may have been killing them. Now after a massive water change I will let nature take its course.
My advise is,,, regular water changes, 50% every 2 days and cut down on food. Best of luck. All is well now so I think Iv sorted the problem.

Any chance of a picture of the fish?
What symptoms are the fish showing?
What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the tank water?

------------------
How long were the fish in the shop tanks for?
Rummynose are sensitive to changes in water chemistry and suffer a lot of stress during transport and shipping. If the fish had only been at the shop for a couple of days when you got them, they would have been stressed from the move to the shop. Then they suffered more stress being caught, bagged up and moved to your house. Then more stress from the anti-biotics. And finally more stress being moved 3 days later.

If you are going to buy fish, try to get them after they have been at the shop for at least 1 week. Do not buy fish if they have only just come in, or if the shop has done a water change in the last couple of days.

When you get fish home, put them into quarantine and leave them there for at least 2 weeks to settle down and recover from the stress.

-------------------
If you are going to quarantine fish, you keep them in a separate tank for at least 2 (preferably 4) weeks and wait to see if any diseases appear. If no diseases appear after 4 weeks, you add the fish to the display tank.

If a disease appears, you treat it with the correct medication.

-------------------
Metroplex contains Metronidazole, which is an anti-biotic designed for people. It should only be used as a last resort on known bacterial or protozoan infections that have not responded to normal treatments.

Improper use and mis-use of anti-biotics has caused drug resistant bacteria that kill people, birds, animals, reptiles and fish.

Metronidazole is only used to treat fish for internal protozoan infections.

------------------
For Guppy10, salt is fine for all freshwater fish as long as you don't overdose it. When treating Corydoras and tetras, you can use 1-2 heaped tablespoons of salt for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water.

Any chance of a picture of the fish?
What symptoms are the fish showing?
What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the tank water?

------------------
How long were the fish in the shop tanks for?
Rummynose are sensitive to changes in water chemistry and suffer a lot of stress during transport and shipping. If the fish had only been at the shop for a couple of days when you got them, they would have been stressed from the move to the shop. Then they suffered more stress being caught, bagged up and moved to your house. Then more stress from the anti-biotics. And finally more stress being moved 3 days later.

If you are going to buy fish, try to get them after they have been at the shop for at least 1 week. Do not buy fish if they have only just come in, or if the shop has done a water change in the last couple of days.

When you get fish home, put them into quarantine and leave them there for at least 2 weeks to settle down and recover from the stress.

-------------------
If you are going to quarantine fish, you keep them in a separate tank for at least 2 (preferably 4) weeks and wait to see if any diseases appear. If no diseases appear after 4 weeks, you add the fish to the display tank.

If a disease appears, you treat it with the correct medication.

-------------------
Metroplex contains Metronidazole, which is an anti-biotic designed for people. It should only be used as a last resort on known bacterial or protozoan infections that have not responded to normal treatments.

Improper use and mis-use of anti-biotics has caused drug resistant bacteria that kill people, birds, animals, reptiles and fish.

Metronidazole is only used to treat fish for internal protozoan infections.

------------------
For Guppy10, salt is fine for all freshwater fish as long as you don't overdose it. When treating Corydoras and tetras, you can use 1-2 heaped tablespoons of salt for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water.
Ph is 7, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite are all 0. The fish all look normal, the first signs that we see is a rummy nose remove itself from the school and then a day or so later it’ll be dead. And the stress put on these fish must’ve been ridiculous taking what you said into consideration. My LFS got the fish in on Tuesday, we took them home on Wednesday, then moved them to the other tank a few days later. Too much moving. Thanks for all the information, I’ll definitely be quarantining for at least two weeks with any fish moving forward. At this point, best case scenario is that the stress is what did it, but that still confuses me why the three neon tetras have died in the last two days considering they have been in the tank for about a month now and not one had died. Could there be some kind of disease?

There could be a disease on the rummynose, which is now affecting the neons.
Can you post some pictures of the rummynose and neons?

There could be a disease on the rummynose, which is now affecting the neons.
Can you post some pictures of the rummynose and neons?
Here are a few pics

Attachments

• 45E0F093-F527-4603-9118-C2CA6CB88B29.jpeg
    45E0F093-F527-4603-9118-C2CA6CB88B29.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 404686DB-F327-4F44-AE9F-5F7CD651A759.jpeg
    404686DB-F327-4F44-AE9F-5F7CD651A759.jpeg
    276.1 KB · Views: 128
I cannot see anything other than obvious stress which would be expected given the situation. How did you acclimate them? Was there any difference in GH or pH or temperature?

In addition to what Colin has posted, I never treat any new fish with any medication unless there is a very clear symptom. All medications, whatever they are, do cause stress to fish, so using any product is going to increase the already high stress, and that should not be done unless there is very clear evidence of "x" or whatever. Characins have a very high chemical intolerance to begin with, and the rummynose species are at the top end of that. Clean water and quiet.

I woould also leav new fish in the QT for at least 3-4 weeks; sometimes I have left them for 3-4 months. Not just for disease free assurance, but to ensure they are eating and behaving normally for the species. Some species are more sensitive than others to this, but putting new fish in an existing tank does create additional stress and if the new fish are not eating very well they may starve.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back