What are "platinum rummy nose tetras"???

Magnum Man

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
they are what I have in my tank at home... but curious what the difference between them & regular rummy noses... yep I know they have more bling down the sides, but appear to have completely the same species name???

so are they line bred??? or a cross, that they kept the same name??? I'm curious how they came about, & seems strange that they are selling both, side by side...

Last edited:
Hello Magnum. A very striking fish. Gray with a red head and a black tail with white spots on it. Someone went to great lengths to breed this one. My favorite is the Buenos Aires Tetra. Larger than most. I think that's what I like about them.

Platinum rummy noses aren't Buenos Aires. They aren't close in appearance, and are just one of 1000 or so tetra species.

Platinums are a Singapore linebred form that is supposed to have more shine to its flanks. My lfs gets them, and they seem very close to the standard form to my eye.

The hobby has Hemigrammus rhodostomus as the standard rummy, but the same rummy name is used for Petitella georgiae and Petitella bleheri. You can get any of the three under the English trade name. But only rhodostomus is being sold in a linebred form.

Looked up those other species, can't tell the difference by my eye, & looking at pictures... can they cross breed???

Platinum rummy noses aren't Buenos Aires. They aren't close in appearance, and are just one of 1000 or so tetra species.

Platinums are a Singapore linebred form that is supposed to have more shine to its flanks. My lfs gets them, and they seem very close to the standard form to my eye.

The hobby has Hemigrammus rhodostomus as the standard rummy, but the same rummy name is used for Petitella georgiae and Petitella bleheri. You can get any of the three under the English trade name. But only rhodostomus is being sold in a linebred form.
Hello Gary. I just commented on the look of the Platinums and that my favorites were the BAs. I can see the difference. Just making a little conversation.

The 3 rummys seem to be convergent evolution - whatever it is that works with that colouration worked well enough to appear independently 3 times. It doesn't seem they can interbreed as species, but the platinum morph can breed with normal ones from its own species. It's somewhat like the neon, green neon, cardinal thing. It also works with the Asian rummy nose, Sawbwa resplendens.

I once broke all the biotope rules and had Trigonopoma pauciperforatum (the redline Rasbora) with Hemigrammus erythrozonus (the glowlight tetra) because pretty well the same stripe from such a distance apart geographically was very cool to see. Not all redlines have redlines - there is a more common copper lined morph, but if you can get the red ones, they are beauties.

Line breeding fish makes money often. I have kept "rummynose" for a number of years. I saw no real difference in the pictures of the platinum or the others. I am a fan of the belehrii variety of rummies.

Have a read here- read the Notes at the bottom, very interesting. https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hemigrammus-rhodostomus/
One thing you will read there is:
Like all Hemigrammus, the taxonomic status of this species is currently Incertae Sedis, meaning uncertain. The genus is currently used as something of a catch-all for over 70 species of small characin. Most experts agree that a full revision is required, with the likely outcome that many species will be placed into new or different genera.

they are what I have in my tank at home... but curious what the difference between them & regular rummy noses... yep I know they have more bling down the sides, but appear to have completely the same species name???

so are they line bred??? or a cross, that they kept the same name??? I'm curious how they came about, & seems strange that they are selling both, side by side...
Since they are the same species they are likely line bred to produce a particular attribute (like shetland collie vs tri color); Btw there are three species commonly refer to rummynose - i usually buy h. bleheri.

so "Rummy Nose's" typically have the reputation of hard to keep alive, weather that is shipping, or in your tank... the 1st ones I tried, were this same species from an "average" mail order shipper, & all were dead in 2 days ( my water was good, and only Rummy Nose died ) 2nd group I ordered from Dan's ( the best mail order seller I've used ) all were alive & thriving 2 weeks later... yet I ordered a 3rd group, from Dan's, & lost 2 or 3 from that group, within 2 days

so is one or more of these species easier to keep alive, or ship better, or are they all similar in that aspect???

I have found bleheri tougher, but my sample size is small. I am contemplating ordering a good bag of rhodostomus, but I am concerned about shipping mortality. I know how good the shipper is - I used to pack and unpack fish there. He's the best.

But they are rummy noses...

I wonder how many people now know the origin of the name, a rummy being a rum alcoholic with a bright red nose from inflamed blood vessels.

so "Rummy Nose's" typically have the reputation of hard to keep alive, weather that is shipping, or in your tank... the 1st ones I tried, were this same species from an "average" mail order shipper, & all were dead in 2 days ( my water was good, and only Rummy Nose died ) 2nd group I ordered from Dan's ( the best mail order seller I've used ) all were alive & thriving 2 weeks later... yet I ordered a 3rd group, from Dan's, & lost 2 or 3 from that group, within 2 days

so is one or more of these species easier to keep alive, or ship better, or are they all similar in that aspect???
Can't answer but i have around 30 in my 450 the past 5 months; ihad 4 mortality from one batch; but none have died other than those which died the first couple of days.

I seem to be the same, but closer to 3 months now... if they live past 2 days, they seem to be fine...

not like my Zebra Oto's... expensive and hard to get... I've got one that has lived more than a year, & was exposed to me when I had bad water... I found some recently, & bought 3 more... over the coarse of 3 months, all have died... they may have starved for too long, during shipping & bulk holding, to where they eat, when food is available... they are pretty much just bio film eaters... & after a couple of months seem to succumb... maybe the Rummy's are similar???

I suspect oxygen.

A silvery shoaler that depends on light hitting the surface for camouflage will want an agitated surface. But they are cheap and easily caught, so they can arrive in bags so tightly packed you wouldn't believe it.

Many cost cutting shippers pack them like sardines to go to the store. Then you buy them. Like all high oxygen needs species, they will usually have losses in transit under great conditions. Like all inexpensive fish, they are packed as tightly as the exporter can get away with. Not great conditions.

I've seen thousands arrive with no deads. Once or twice. Lots of dead a lot more. It's that first 3 days after shipping. Good importers tend to hold them til they stabilize. Cost cutters sell them as quickly as they can...

The price for the quick turnover ones is always lower.

Rummy is an old term for an alcoholic. I am a movie buff and have seen a ton of the old B&W greats. There is one film from 1944, To Have and Have Not, starring Humphry Bogart. Lauren Bacall and Walter Brennan who plays a drunk and is repeatedly referred to as a rummy. It is a classiv and I have seen it probably a half dozen times over the years. Some of the best films ever made were shot in B&W.

I can remember getting a box of 65, close to adult, cardinals all alive and all stayed that way for some time. I still have 3 of the last group of rummynose I got about 5 or 6 years back. I have only kept 3 tetras, the third I have now are a dozen purple emperors (Inpaichthys kerri)). I dare you to pronounce the first name without spraining your tongue.

edited to fix the typo in tetras typeoed as tertas and still as stilil

Last edited:
the third I have now are a dozen purple emperors (Inpaichthys kerri)). I dare you to pronounce the first name without spraining your tongue.
Kerri, Kerri, Kerri - dead easy. All you have to do is name them all "Kerri" as their first name, and it's a piece of cake.

I find rummy noses long lived IF they make the first 3 days. With basic maintenance, they live a long time in groups. Get lazy with water, and they'll be your test kit though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back