What kind of freshwater fish are these? Rummy-Nose or?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ram419

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was sold 7 rummy-nose tetra. I have 2 that never showed a colored nose after having them for over two weeks. I noticed their tails don't have same design as rummy-nose as well. It is a black triangle in the middle of the tail that extends all the way to the back fin. The rummy-nose have 3 separated black stripes on their tails.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20230301-185041.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230301-185041.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 1,497
I was sold 7 rummy-nose tetra. I have 2 that never showed a colored nose after having them for over two weeks. I noticed their tails don't have same design as rummy-nose as well. It is a black triangle in the middle of the tail that extends all the way to the back fin. The rummy-nose have 3 separated black stripes on their tails.
Maybe a Gold Tetra (Hemigrammus rodwayi)?

Looks like Hemigrammus levis.

Definitely not the name I was wracking my brain for, so I was wrong, lol. Nice looking tetra though, I bet under a good light in a planted tank with a bunch of them, they'd be really pretty. Rummynose are nice too of course.

If you google them both it gets confusing. I suspect a lot of “rodwayi” are actually levis. Hemigrammus is a bit of a catch-all genus that unknown fish get thrown into. It’s in need of revision.

If you google them both it gets confusing. I suspect a lot of “rodwayi” are actually levis. Hemigrammus is a bit of a catch-all genus that unknown fish get thrown into. It’s in need of revision.
Yah, definitely agree. I was confused when looking them up 😂

I scanned some popular tetra species and saw some I fell in love with, like the diamond tetra, purple emperor, and a few weirder ones I'd never seen before! I haven't explored tetra much since I'm in a hardwater area.

So jealous of people who have lovely soft water! So many choices and some really stunning fish.

So jealous of people who have lovely soft water! So many choices and some really stunning fish.

I’ve always had soft water, and I get jealous sometimes of people with hard water. I’ve missed out on a lot of CA cichlids and livebearers. :)

There’s a few tetras that are good in hard water... Penguins (T. boehlkei), Emperors, and Silver-tips come to mind.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back