Room For One More?

mwood2

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
749
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver WA (US)
well my GF's tank is almost stocked I think. Its a 5 Gallon with 2 AFD and a Molly. Its been a week since I added the AFD and they seem fine for the most part. The Molly does not bother them to much and I just added a new hiding place for them to help that. But my question is, would adding one last fish to the tank be a good idea? If so what would you suggest and if you dont suggest fish would Shrimp/Snails work too? We would prefer a fish but if not please suggest which shrimp/snails you would suggest and how many,
 
dont have a place for her other then in the tank. Her size is fine for the tank I would think since she is 3in and each frog is 1in which I think should be fine (tell me if Im wrong). Also the tank is fully cycled and I havent had any issues at all so far.

Is there any room left or no?
 
5 gallons is a fairly small tank....but then again mollies have been kept in smaller!

I would always advise keeping fish in as large a quantity of water as you can accomodate...but i dont see why you couldnt add a guppy or a platy
 
wouldn't a single guppy be lonely without more like itself? The tank has plenty of swimming room seeing as its tall and has plenty of hiding space.

As for a Platy, don't they get to be a good size? I haven't done much research other then know they can reach a size of 2in. My gf does want one but I want to have a good idea of wither or not it would be a good idea.
 
Platys can get to 2 inches, but female mollies can get twice as big.

Tall tanks have less swimming space - most fish need horizontal swimming space more than vertical, hence why length is typically the most important dimension in a tank. Swimming and hiding space isn't the issue, though, it's water volume, with a female molly and two frogs, it's already got a quite high bioload.
 
well we just got back from the pet store. She wanted a small red Platy so I got it for her. I'm keeping a close eye on everything right now. I plan to do daily water tests and keep everything going smoothly. My other 5 Gallon is still cycling but when thats done I should be able to transfer any of my fish/frogs over if needed.
 
The tank has plenty of swimming room seeing as its tall and has plenty of hiding space.

As well as what Corleone said above, tall tanks are nice, but don't forget it is surface area that will affect how much oxygen is in the water. This is why bowls that curve in, almost to a ball aren't as good as a rectangular tank, without putting in an airpump feature.
 
platies can get up to 3 inch long and your already have 3 inch long molly...Isnt that mollies prefer more space than platies? Mollies likes to swimming around.
 
it should only be a week or so, depending on how things go i may move him over to my tank. just waiting for my tank to finish up.
 
ok so I need some new advice now. Seems that the Molly was being a Bully and pestering the frogs and fish after I put the Platy inside. So what I did was seeing as that my tank has a good sum of benifical bacteria I thought that I should be able to move the Platy over to that tank. The tank was at .25-.50 when I got home so I did a water change, got it to 0 and transfered him over with one of the dwarf frogs. So now the Molly is in my gf's tank with one AFD.

Does this seem fine? Yes I am doing water checks and will keep an eye on both tanks. Only after a week or 2 of no problems will I do any more adds if even then.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top