Roma 240 slow burn...

At last! Just caught her taking them back in 😍
View attachment 151075
Can't wait for tomorrow, I know I'll be nose to glass watching them...I hope I can get enough food in the tank without the rainbows devouring the lot
Beautiful!So cute. Reminds me of the scene on Finding Nemo where the one fish is herding all her babies around where they need to go.

They're brilliant parents, just like that! I just love the whole journey, I really really hope at least some will survive

20220312_184859.jpg
20220312_185157.jpg
20220312_185014.jpg

The big boys are sparring this morning
20220315_105603.jpg
20220315_105622.jpg
20220315_105544.jpg

They're so quick though it's hard to get a proper shot, then there's the stupid glare from this weird ball of fire in the sky that happens across our English skies once in a while...

Wow wow wow! This is looking amazing!
Thank you! The crypts are just so awesome, really love them. I'm thinking of taking the vall out, it's just a pain in the butt. I've turned the lights down low so it doesn't grow so out of control for now....would like to replace it with something else, suggestions?

Thank you! The crypts are just so awesome, really love them. I'm thinking of taking the vall out, it's just a pain in the butt. I've turned the lights down low so it doesn't grow so out of control for now....would like to replace it with something else, suggestions?
There is so much to love in this tank, the fish are awesome sorry if I've missed it in the thread but which species are in there is it Bosmani and Parva?

I really like the vallis I've got it in mine too - just the regular but not the giant. I really like mixing the vallis with other long leaved plants like Crypt Balanase and Crinium. One thing It think the tank could benefit from is some taller hardsape, maybe like a big trunk/branch pieces that breaks the surface.

I think the Vallis looks good and makes the tank.

Make sure the rainbows get plenty of plant matter in their diet. At least half their diet should be plant based.

There is so much to love in this tank, the fish are awesome sorry if I've missed it in the thread but which species are in there is it Bosmani and Parva?

I really like the vallis I've got it in mine too - just the regular but not the giant. I really like mixing the vallis with other long leaved plants like Crypt Balanase and Crinium. One thing It think the tank could benefit from is some taller hardsape, maybe like a big trunk/branch pieces that breaks the surface.
Boesmani and parva...I also have a few praecox in there too.

I was thinking about balanase, I've already got a crinum...just takes forever to grow! Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a nosy around for some nice wood

I think the Vallis looks good and makes the tank.

Make sure the rainbows get plenty of plant matter in their diet. At least half their diet should be plant based.
I try to feed them green flakes every other feed...they don't like the veggies I've put in before now but are happy to eat the flakes...they soon let me know they're not getting enough roughage because they chow on the polysperma!

I've had a very difficult few months as of late, the reason why I've not been stalking the forums, unfortunately and regrettably why my tank was pretty much completely neglected without a single water change for I don't even know how long. My plants suffered the most although I did lose a few fish along the way, which I'm so sad about. I've beaten myself up a lot over the last couple of weeks, but I've decided to be kind to myself as poor mental health and emotional despair is no joke. Thankfully I'm out the other side and I'm able to now rebuild myself...and my tank!

SO! I started with tiny daily water changes until I had changed out all the water, then did a big 50% after taking out all the dead plants. The Vall didn't make it which is a tragedy but I found it a pain to maintain anyway...I've replaced it with baby Cryptocoryne Balansae and Cryptocoryne Crispatula, they should grow fairly tall at the back and at a slower rate so I'll be able to keep on top of the maintenance. Crypts just seem to do so well for me, so much so that I had to pull out some of the babies to thin it out a bit. The root systems go right across the whole of the tank and I had to break a lot of it to get them out! So I've got lots of little wiggly white worms poking out of the gravel 🙄

20230423_162808.jpg

Here's how we're looking as of now 🫣 so sad to see it in such bad shape considering how it looked before....but anyway.

I had to get a new circulation pump as the last one died. Its actually much nicer and I've managed to angle it just right to pick up all the crud around the tank....I'm not that hot on gravel vaccing, I tend to just wiggle a finger through it now and then...so the water column is just full of dusty particles and mess. The filter was an abomination 🤢 but it's cleanish and I've shoved in some floss to pick out the fine bits, hopefully by tomorrow the water will be pristine and lovely again.

I've found an online company that cuts acrylic to bespoke dimensions, it's more than I would normally pay but I'm feeling guilty so will just grin and bear it! I want to get a black piece to go behind the tank for a background. There's no way I can pull the tank away from the wall and paint/film/etc so I figure the acrylic would be an easy way to achieve the look I want. Someone may have a better idea, let me know.

20230423_163109.jpg

The fish are doing very well, some need a bit of fattening up so I've increased feeding for now. I've added a few more to make up the numbers and it's such a joy to see the big boys showing off and squaring up to each other.

So, there we go

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back