Rock advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ash1910

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I need a bit of advice please. I currently have a 125L tank running tropical and I love rocks and all things natural. A friend of mine has just downsized his marine tank and has some really good sized rock he wants to give me. Would i be able to put them in my tank? I dont mind cleaning them and that im just wondering thats all???? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Definitely not. Most saltwater rock with drastically raise your pH.

If you want rock for freshwater tanks, I recommend dragon rock. It’s kinda pricey, but it looks really good.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

It depends on what fish you want to keep in your tank. Most rocks in marine tanks are limestone or sandstone and consist of calcium carbonate. This will raise the pH, and slightly raise the GH.

Limestone and sandstone can push the pH up to 8.5 depending on how much you add.

If you want to keep soft water fishes like tetras, barbs, rasboras, angelfish, gouramis or Corydoras, they prefer water with a pH below 7.0.

If you keep livebearers like mollies, guppies, platies or swordtails, or rainbowfish, goldfish or African Rift Lake cichlids, then you can add limestone to their tank because they come from water with a pH above 7.0.

Africa's Rift Lakes actually have limestone rocks in them and Lake Tanganyika has a pH above 8.5 due to the limestone and other minerals in the water.

I currently have 3 bala sharks, 8 danios and 2 bristlenoes in the tank. Now we are looking at getting a bigger tank very soon as I no the balas can grow quite big, but we've only had them a couple of month now. The rocks ive been given are quite large also. Altogother I think its about 30-40kg

Im just out at work at the moment. When I get home tonight ill take some and post on here. Thank you everyone for your advice its much appreciated.

Hi everyone,
Here's a picture of the rocks. The 2.5L paint tub is just show you the size in comparison.
Don't mind the mess its in my shed ??
20201214_175726.jpg

20201214_175737.jpg

If you are bringing over salt rock defiantly wash and wash and wash and wash. there are no beneficial bacteria which will be able to suvive from salt to fresh so don't worry

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back