RO v rainwater plus conditioners

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lynnzer

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Having now set up a tank for my new Chili Rasboras I was advised to add some alder cones to reduce PH and give similar water conditions to their natural habitat, ie swamps in Borneo. I gathered some locally and soaked them overnight in a tub of water holding the same amount as the Rasboras tank. Looking at it this morning the water is quite dark, almost like a week tea but the PH does seem to be lower. What I'm wondering is what effect it will have on the oxygenation. Will it reduce it to dangerous levels? Anyway, how many cones should be added to the water in the 1st place?

Next, being in the process of planning a new kitchen I'm considering a RO unit. However I also like the idea of collection rainwater.
RO naturally drains all the chemical and particles from the water that needs some added back before use in a fish tank as far as I can figure out. That being the case would a rainwater tank be better? Soft water for the tanks but not drained of all natural stuff. My take on that is that the rain would fall onto the roof, collect all the detritus on the way to the gutter which will inevitably include bird droppings from time to time, then run through the moss that grows in the gutter. Peterlee isn't an industrial area so airborne contaminants shouldn't be a problem.
Has someone on forum got a rainwater system already successfully in use who can pass on ideas?

Last edited:
Chili rasboras naturally occur in blackwater environments so water the colour of weak tea is what they expect. It won't affect oxygen levels. Note that black water is that colour because of tannins, it is still perfectly clean.

What else do you have in the tank? Chili rasboras occur in extremely soft and acidic conditions, so pure RO is fine for them, it depends on the needs of everything else in the tank.

Chili rasboras naturally occur in blackwater environments so water the colour of weak tea is what they expect. It won't affect oxygen levels. Note that black water is that colour because of tannins, it is still perfectly clean.

What else do you have in the tank? Chili rasboras occur in extremely soft and acidic conditions, so pure RO is fine for them, it depends on the needs of everything else in the tank.
The tank is dedicated to the Chilis. I have half a dozen cherry shrimp in it too but will be taking them out once the Chili's start displaying breeding behaviour. Don't want their eggs eaten.

RO water would be my choice tbh.

Rainwater is a nice idea but as you mentioned, rain falls into roof tiles, then gutters which will undoubtedly have bird poop, debris and moss etc.

All those will leave containments in the water as well as the possibility of chemical that’s been potentially used to treat the roof tiles / gutters or absorbed from the surrounding air.

With RO water, you know exactly what you’re getting with the system you use.

Alder cones are perfectly fine with this set up.

I would in fact say that Rooibos tea and Indian almond leaves would also be beneficial as well as they hold natural antioxidants which helps the health of your livestock.

I’ve had Rooibos tea and IAL in previous tanks and I actually like the black water look to be entirely honest.

The 'trouble' with rain water is that weather systems move west to east and the rain you get could be contaminated by conditions hundreds of miles to the west. Then there is the 'stuff' on your roof as it gets washed by the rain...and unless you have a metal roof (asphalt shingles not so great) it may even be worse. So for super soft water, an RO system is a better choice instead of rain water.

If the wind is in the wrong direction, you'll get a lot of stuff from Haverton Hill and Wilton blowing your way. (Chemical plants for those who don't live here). We live to the west of these plants but on occasion you can smell it in the air.

I agree RO water is better, also you may run into a time with little rain so you would have to switch to RO anyways.

I feel a Reverse Osmosis system coming on......
In fact the cost is insignificant when compared to the purchase of a decent size rain-water tank with all the necessary plumbing. So that's settled then.

Now with the alder cones. The water colour is fine by me as long as the actual other chemical reactions created by the introduction of matter that will inevitably decay over time doesn't have any detrimental effect. I too like the colour. It's different. Might not be able to see the inhabitants but hey---- at least they'll be comfortable.
With this tank at a capacity of 24 ltrs and only inhabited by 10 Chili Rasbora the size of a small pin and not a lot fatter in body, and half a dozen shrimp I'm wondering on the water changes. There are a few smallish plants in the tank along with a lump of bogwood. Is there a need to change often as the fish waste is going to be virtually nil. Of course I can do all the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite tests as necessary and they are all at perfect right now;
Ammonia is at 0, Nitrite is at 0, Nitrate is at 0, pH is at 7.5 and KH is at 2 ie 35.6mg/L
Unnecessary water changes with replacement alder ones to darken it will change the chemistry that may not be best for the fish.

Water changes will actually keep the water chemistry stable. It's when water changes are not done that the chemistry changes over time. There are a lot more things than ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to consider. All the things excreted and secreted by the fish will build up in the water if water changes are not done, then the water will be different from the new water when a water change is done. Regular weekly water changes of 50% means that the tank water is very little different from the new water.

With shrimps, don't throw the old water away till you've checked it thoroughly. Newly hatched shrimps are tiny and difficult to see - and very easy to suck up. I empty the bucket with a jug, checking each jugful for baby shrimps. I use a pipette with the narrow end cut off to remove them from the jug. At the last water change yesterday there were 9 baby shrimps in the bucket and the week before there were 25.

Water changes will actually keep the water chemistry stable. It's when water changes are not done that the chemistry changes over time. There are a lot more things than ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to consider. All the things excreted and secreted by the fish will build up in the water if water changes are not done, then the water will be different from the new water when a water change is done. Regular weekly water changes of 50% means that the tank water is very little different from the new water.

With shrimps, don't throw the old water away till you've checked it thoroughly. Newly hatched shrimps are tiny and difficult to see - and very easy to suck up. I empty the bucket with a jug, checking each jugful for baby shrimps. I use a pipette with the narrow end cut off to remove them from the jug. At the last water change yesterday there were 9 baby shrimps in the bucket and the week before there were 25.
I remember you telling me about the tiny shrimp when we met. I'll be very careful of this. As this tank is the chili rasbora one, I need to be careful for fry from them too as they will also be minute, judging by the micro size of the parents. Everything I siphon out will go through a fine mesh over the top of a jug just to be on the safe side.
Now, off to collect more alder cones......

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back