Ro - More Pure Than Waste...

drsquirrel

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Firstly - I haven't confused which output is which, I have a diagram (assuming there isn't a mistake) and the flow restrictor is on the waste pipe.

But the "pure" output gives around 20% more than the waste... and I should obviously be getting a lot less pure than waste.

I have only just started to use it (and know that the first batch of water should be disposed). Will this rectify itself after running it for a while?

I don't want to wait hours only to find out I've done something wrong :p

There is something wrong - there is NEVER more pure water than waste :sad: I suspect you have the wrong coloured pipe on the wrong outlet - do you have a TDS meter? If so after about an hour test both and see what you get

Seffie x

The pipe work currently isn't coloured, looking at manufacturer diagram, the "higher" output on the membrane housing is supposed to be the pure output, the lower waste which has the flow restrictor attached to it.

I don't have a TDS unit yet, I do intend to get an inline unit, but that doesn't help me here.

This is the same unit I have (Although I have the DI unit on top which currently is disconnected).

After running for an hour the output flows look roughly the same still, previously I tested it by filling 2 glasses at the same time so I wasn't guessing.

Ah... photo of mine...

If you have a test kit that includes hardness the waste water should come out rock hard, the RO should come out near zero hardness. While this is no replacement for a TDS meter, it will let you know which is which.

I don't have that test kit yet sadly (actually ordered a few more today).

I really dont think its right, I have never heard of an ro unit that produces more pure water than waste!

How about taking samples to your lfs to test for hardness?

Seffie x

I've never heard of that either, though I imagine if you had a really soft water supply it is possible. Something isn't right, that's for sure.

I'm not sure how soft our water it, but I know it's not considered hard.

LFS is closed for today sadly, I know the owner has his own salt tank so might have even had a TDS meter.

Need to think about what is best to do with the LR I will get later.

Eeeeek does that mean you are getting it today and dont have any salt water already heated?

Seffie x

I only just "found" it yesterday, and was hoping to get some water in and ready for it by this evening.

I could ask the lad if he can test my water for me (assuming they have the kit, he did mention keeping 5kg back for another tank... hence why 30 is now 25), although that doesn't help with preparing.

I might just have to see if I can get as much water as I can with it, he only has poly boxes though and I don't have anything big enough yet (also something I am awaiting to get), oldish bin + thick bin bags be okay?

Kind of in a rush to get it, to make sure it's me who gets it :p Even if I put it off until tomorrow evening, I'm not really sure what I could do before then.

Goodness, are you able to go and buy some salty water tomorrow and heat up for a few hours, shouldn't take long in this weather. If so ask to borrow or buy a couple of salt buckets with lids and transport in those

Seffie x

Not enough time tomorrow sadly, a shop with salt water is in completely the other direction, and I'd have to return home first tomorrow before leaving for any of them.

Not that it helps currently, but obviously going to contact the retailer tomorrow regarding the RO unit.

Well today is definitely a no go, just had a message from them via their phone... they've broken down, lol (shouldn't laugh).

Decided to do a Nitrate test on 3 points...

Tap 5
RO between 0 and 2 (I tested this twice, not 2, but definitely not clear/0)
Waste 20

I wasn't confident enough that a nitrate test was enough to decide, for some reason the ratios don't feel right.

Most reactions

trending

Back