River Rio Central

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AquaBarb

Aqua}^>holic
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
Reaction score
The journey for another build is under way so i thought id start a journal so i can track its progress.

This last week ive gathered the materials and bulit the stand for the tank to go on (quite pleased with my first attempt. No power tools other than a drill🙂)

20220604_201712.jpg
20220605_135707.jpg
20220611_113913.jpg
20220611_152928.jpg

Brother helped me lift it on today so i need to now sort a lid,light and a filter out before i scape etc then the fun really begins.

Not sure on what to stock in it yet.

Options at the moment are...
1# move my fish from 29g and 47g into it and add to the schools.
2#move my Bocourti and tiger dollers over and add 1 or 2 new tank mates (Vieja possibly)
3# A species only frontosa set up.
4#Im really into my big central Americans atm so id love a big wet pet or a breeding pair of some kind.
Something like Jags, Red terrors, Rtm's, Carpintis etc 🐠

Need to chose so i can scape accordingly to the needs of the fish/es😀

Oh wow thats amazing! Painted up it looks shop bought! I've seen it done with magnetic panels before too - did you follow a specific guide? How long did it take to build?

Based on your stocking ideas if your fish in the 29 and 47 are happy I would go for something new :) I wouldnt go for a species only Frotosa tank, I dont think you'd need to and they take so long to grow you could be a bit disappointed, but a Tang community around them with rock dwellers, sand sifters and possibly featherfins would be nice? Hard though as as the Fronts grow you'd need to move some fish on to balance the tank...

I'd be tempted to go Centrals still :) again if your Bocourtis and Dollars are good in the other one go for something new. I've always really liked Paraneetroplus Breidohri (used to be a Veija) great purple colour and nice shape. Pair would be cool if you want to breed and I bet you'd be able to move the fry on. Blackbelts have always been a favourite of mine but never kept them - not sure if they are too big for this tank though. Would probably be a wet pet but some people do manage to mix them. I was going to ask about your new profile picture of a Carpintis? Maybe thats a bit of a sign that thats what you want to do haha!

Carpintis is not too aggressive so if you wanted to do a community around them you probs could - thought not a breeding pair. Escondido are a really nice variant if you get chance. Always like Hericthys Deppi too which has more of an all over neon/pastel blue rather than the pearls of a Texas. If you went single gender in the tank you could probably get a good mix of species and the good thing is you have enough tanks to handle it, you might want to get a divider though.

I can't talk about a Central American tank without mentioning Nicaraguans though - could be at home with a Carpintis too. An other fish to check out is Oscura Heterospila the Montecristo Cichlid. Used to be a Vieja but smaller, unique shape and colouration and got a reputation for being pretty chilled out even when breeding - check out BigFishLad on youtube he has a great group. With these you could look at smaller Amatitlania cichlids like Nanoluteus or Sajica maybe with Cribroheros? A nice group of these gregarious cichlids could be cool.

Have you ever had to deal with proper cichlid aggression in your tanks? I can't remember you ever mentioning it? By which I mean when you look at them chasing/locking and thinking they are actually going to kill each other? Or waking up to a fish with sores and shredded fins?

Really looking forward to seeing where you go with this!

Wills

Thank you Wills always appreciate your input🙂

Just watched a few youtube vids really then drawed the design up myself. I built the main structure of the stand last saturday (around 6 or 7 hours id say to build) then sunday i did all the exterior wood and trim etc (couple of hours) then i primered and painted a few nights this week after work, put the doors on last night. Probably got about 12hrs in it all together. Could of knocked a fair bit of time off if i had a circular/jigsaw but i havent got a great arsenal of tools at hand.

I think something new will be top of the pile and im leaning towards centrals more than the other options. (Love frontosa's but im struggling with the nuchal humps when they mature lol🤣 not a fan)

Big fish lad and Andy woods are the very reason im into the bigger centrals. His just put the Montecristo Cichlid and Carpintis tank up on another group im on. Just stunning 😍 love those two species.

No real aggression in my tanks, ive been lucky. Big Bocourti's a bit of a bully to the smaller girl but she just chases.

Last edited:
Oh wow thats amazing! Painted up it looks shop bought! I've seen it done with magnetic panels before too - did you follow a specific guide? How long did it take to build?

Based on your stocking ideas if your fish in the 29 and 47 are happy I would go for something new :) I wouldnt go for a species only Frotosa tank, I dont think you'd need to and they take so long to grow you could be a bit disappointed, but a Tang community around them with rock dwellers, sand sifters and possibly featherfins would be nice? Hard though as as the Fronts grow you'd need to move some fish on to balance the tank...

I'd be tempted to go Centrals still :) again if your Bocourtis and Dollars are good in the other one go for something new. I've always really liked Paraneetroplus Breidohri (used to be a Veija) great purple colour and nice shape. Pair would be cool if you want to breed and I bet you'd be able to move the fry on. Blackbelts have always been a favourite of mine but never kept them - not sure if they are too big for this tank though. Would probably be a wet pet but some people do manage to mix them. I was going to ask about your new profile picture of a Carpintis? Maybe thats a bit of a sign that thats what you want to do haha!

Carpintis is not too aggressive so if you wanted to do a community around them you probs could - thought not a breeding pair. Escondido are a really nice variant if you get chance. Always like Hericthys Deppi too which has more of an all over neon/pastel blue rather than the pearls of a Texas. If you went single gender in the tank you could probably get a good mix of species and the good thing is you have enough tanks to handle it, you might want to get a divider though.

I can't talk about a Central American tank without mentioning Nicaraguans though - could be at home with a Carpintis too. An other fish to check out is Oscura Heterospila the Montecristo Cichlid. Used to be a Vieja but smaller, unique shape and colouration and got a reputation for being pretty chilled out even when breeding - check out BigFishLad on youtube he has a great group. With these you could look at smaller Amatitlania cichlids like Nanoluteus or Sajica maybe with Cribroheros? A nice group of these gregarious cichlids could be cool.

Have you ever had to deal with proper cichlid aggression in your tanks? I can't remember you ever mentioning it? By which I mean when you look at them chasing/locking and thinking they are actually going to kill each other? Or waking up to a fish with sores and shredded fins?

Really looking forward to seeing where you go with this!

Wills
Species only frontosa tank would be awesome!

Thank you Wills always appreciate your input🙂

Just watched a few youtube vids really then drawed the design up myself. I built the main structure of the stand last saturday (around 6 or 7 hours id say to build) then sunday i did all the exterior wood and trim etc (couple of hours) then i primered and painted a few nights this week after work, put the doors on last night. Probably got about 12hrs in it all together. Could of knocked a fair bit of time off if i had a circular/jigsaw but i havent got a great arsenal of tools at hand.

I think something new will be top of the pile and im leaning towards centrals more than the other options. (Love frontosa's but im struggling with the knuckle humps when they mature lol🤣 not a fan)

Big fish lad and Andy woods are the very reason im into the bigger centrals. His just put the Montecristo Cichlid and Carpintis tank up on another group im on. Just stunning 😍 love those two species.

No real aggression in my tanks, ive been lucky. Big Bocourti's a bit of a bully to the smaller girl but she just chases.

Is that a good route for you too? With the Carpintis and the Oscura? I'd be tempted to hunt out a deppi they are amazing. If you did the Carpintis it would be worth hunting out the right strain like Escondido or I think its called a Rio Bobo that both look great - Escondido have a good reputation of being able to mix with other fish too. Some Mexican Cave Tetras would look cool wit these too maybe?

Wills

Is that a good route for you too? With the Carpintis and the Oscura? I'd be tempted to hunt out a deppi they are amazing. If you did the Carpintis it would be worth hunting out the right strain like Escondido or I think its called a Rio Bobo that both look great - Escondido have a good reputation of being able to mix with other fish too. Some Mexican Cave Tetras would look cool wit these too maybe?

Wills
Ive heard of the Escondido and the Rio hondo which are beautiful. Ill look the deppi up🙂

I really like the Oscura and i also love the Tomocichla asfraci 😍

20220702_193957.jpg
20220702_194036.jpg
20220702_194013.jpg

20220702_194810.jpg
Set up the new Rio yesterday and moved my cichlids and entourage over from Rio 1. ( forgot how i dislike cleaning sand - 75kg lol) only a quick scape for now with rocks and wood i already had but it looks nice and clean and provides the space for the bigger fish and shelter for the bottom dwellers with the 2 islands

Checked everyone this morning and all are well and settled in🙂
Get alot of glare in this room so pictures are trick to get.

Once fish was safely moved i drained Rio 1 down cleaned down the glass then siliconed the brace bars so both tanks should be good to go now.

Once the silicones set ill rescape it then add some new fish.

View attachment 162380View attachment 162381View attachment 162382
View attachment 162384Set up the new Rio yesterday and moved my cichlids and entourage over from Rio 1. ( forgot how i dislike cleaning sand - 75kg lol) only a quick scape for now with rocks and wood i already had but it looks nice and clean and provides the space for the bigger fish and shelter for the bottom dwellers with the 2 islands

Once fish was safely moved i drained Rio 1 down cleaned down the glass then siliconed the brace bars so both tanks should be good to go now.

Looking really good! Looks so weird to see one of your tank without the plants though!

View attachment 162380View attachment 162381View attachment 162382
View attachment 162384Set up the new Rio yesterday and moved my cichlids and entourage over from Rio 1. ( forgot how i dislike cleaning sand - 75kg lol) only a quick scape for now with rocks and wood i already had but it looks nice and clean and provides the space for the bigger fish and shelter for the bottom dwellers with the 2 islands

Great work! You have some really impressive dynamics and a fascinating diverse community of fish within the 450l Aquarium.

I believe I'm either looking at some Colombian Tetras or Baby Pygocentrus Nattereri, I'm rather intrigued to see how this goes.

Keep us up-to-date with the wonderful progress! :good:

Looking really good! Looks so weird to see one of your tank without the plants though!
Yeah it does tbf lol, i do miss the plants but now some of the cichlids have matured and the dollars are in the plants wont last. Even started on anubias before i change to biotope.

Great work! You have some really impressive dynamics and a fascinating diverse community of fish within the 450l Aquarium.

I believe I'm either looking at some Colombian Tetras or Baby Pygocentrus Nattereri, I'm rather intrigued to see how this goes.

Keep us up-to-date with the wonderful progress! :good:
Why thank you @EphesusExotics 🙂

You wont be disappointed if you go with the columbians. They go off in little packs or school together lovely and their blue coloration with the red fins are👌

Yeah it does tbf lol, i do miss the plants but now some of the cichlids have matured and the dollars are in the plants wont last. Even started on anubias before i change to biotope.
Expect it from the Dollars but which Cichlids are eating them?

Wills

Expect it from the Dollars but which Cichlids are eating them?

Wills
Bocourti mainly but i did catch the rainbows having a nibble.
Dollars were ok tbf but i persume they would of started at some point

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back