Ring on cherry shrimp

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Hi can you sent me some information I might help :)
I need
Water Parameter.
GH especially,
I believe that is RCS but I can't grade it since the shoot is kinda blocked by the algae.
And how many of them inside this tank?
What kind of tank? Shrimp only?
How long did that shrimp live inside that tank?
Do you acclimate it the right way?
Do you ever see that RCS molting or you see the molt?
Sorry to Ask you a lot but if you provide me the answer I might help.

No idea how to check my GH, but British water is very hardy (probably doesnt help i know)
Tank is cycled, dont have a test kit to test water parameters
Red cherry shrimp yes
Only 3 inside the tank
Shrimp only
Shrimp has been alive for a couple of months, that ring has gotten wider it looks like, I remember the ring being smaller, now I can see its insides
No I did not acclimate them the right way, I put the bag in the water of my tank and left them for 15 minutes, made a cut in the bag and let some water in, then I released them after another 15 minutes. I never did the dripping method.
I have seen RCS molt in my tank, but I havent seen any in the past 2 weeks maybe (because I cant see inside my tank for the bacteria)

It's nothing deadly to shrimp :)
It's a lack of calcium in shrimp's diet.
What foods do you feed them? What is your pH, GH and KH of your water?

I have never fed them before, there are only 3 so I never thought to. When I saw the ring yesterday I decided to add a cooked carrot to the tank for calcium, not one of them touched it. If the shrimp survives 2 more days I have some shrimp lollies on the way to hopefully help supplement. Ph of my water, no idea I need to get a test kit asap, but British water is usually 8.5? GH, no idea but British water is very hardy, KH no idea

Even in UK, there are some sof water areas. I live in a moderately hard water area and I rarely see my cherries with those rings, but you definentely have lack of calcium in water and shrimp's diet.
Calcium foods and supplements are a 'must-have' when keeping shrimp.

Even in UK, there are some sof water areas. I live in a moderately hard water area and I rarely see my cherries with those rings, but you definentely have lack of calcium in water and shrimp's diet.

I live in very hardy, North Eastern I just checked the hardiness map

What can I feed them that I will probably have in my house? I wasnt able to do a water change to provide more calcium recently because of the bacteria which required no water changes for 3 weeks. Dont know what to do, they wont eat carrots or apples dont know what else to try.

I have never fed them before, there are only 3 so I never thought to. When I saw the ring yesterday I decided to add a cooked carrot to the tank for calcium, not one of them touched it. If the shrimp survives 2 more days I have some shrimp lollies on the way to hopefully help supplement. Ph of my water, no idea I need to get a test kit asap, but British water is usually 8.5? GH, no idea but British water is very hardy, KH no idea
I know that cuttlebone adds calcium to shrimp diet and I personally never have used shrimp lollies.
Never heard about carrot having calcium for shrimp, but I know its a colour enhancer for fish.
I live in very hardy, North Eastern I just checked the hardiness map
How hard is it?

What can I feed them that I will probably have in my house? I wasnt able to do a water change to provide more calcium recently because of the bacteria which required no water changes for 3 weeks. Dont know what to do, they wont eat carrots or apples dont know what else to try.
Um.. Do you have chance to get some cuttlebone?
You also can use egg shells if you feel to add calcium right away for your shrimp.

I know that cuttlebone adds calcium to shrimp diet and I personally never have used shrimp lollies.
Never heard about carrot having calcium for shrimp, but I know its a colour enhancer for fish.

How hard is it?

Checked another site for less confusion, I have medium to hard water. I need to find some foods that they will eat that contain a lot of calcium, cant think.

How hard is your water?
Eggs shells should work.

My water is medium to hard. I will try the egg shells now, but I dont see why the shrimp should need calcium supplements to live normally? They only eat algae and biofilm in the wild and they do fine... I must be messing something up

No idea how to check my GH, but British water is very hardy (probably doesnt help i know)
Tank is cycled, dont have a test kit to test water parameters
Red cherry shrimp yes
Only 3 inside the tank
Shrimp only
Shrimp has been alive for a couple of months, that ring has gotten wider it looks like, I remember the ring being smaller, now I can see its insides
No I did not acclimate them the right way, I put the bag in the water of my tank and left them for 15 minutes, made a cut in the bag and let some water in, then I released them after another 15 minutes. I never did the dripping method.
I have seen RCS molt in my tank, but I havent seen any in the past 2 weeks maybe (because I cant see inside my tank for the bacteria)
I suggest you buy some Water Test Kit. They're cheap and last long enough for you to buy 10 more.
And if your water is very hardy that's mean you need to balance it. At first all Shrimp need a consistent Water Parameter. Changing 50% at one time of water is too much for shrimp. The trick is Change 25%./week (Different solution if you add heavy planted fertilizer)
And Red Cherry shrimp diet should be a balance between Protein and Calcium.
That White Stuff is your Shrimp Flesh
how it happens. During molting, the shrimp is filling its shell with water until the old exoskeleton bursts at the breaking point in the neck area This is where the problem comes. Instead of the breaking at one point in the neck area, the shell breaks across the full exoskeleton.
You should try demineralized the water.

My water is medium to hard. I will try the egg shells now, but I dont see why the shrimp should need calcium supplements to live normally? They only eat algae and biofilm in the wild and they do fine... I must be messing something up
They need high calcium for their shell growth. Just like how snail need calcium for their shell.
If you found Shrimp Molt. Don't siphon it up. Just let it sit there. The shrimp molt contain Enough of calcium for your shrimp.

How hard is the water. I need to know your hardness by pH, GH and KH which you can find on your water provider's site.
Shrimp need calcium in their diet to molt successfully, if not.. they will be having problems and/or die successfully.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back