Regenerating A Old, Dying Fish Tank.

I'd be careful using that gravel, you might find it's a bit sharp for use in a fish tank. Other than that I'd have thought it was safe chemically speaking :)

As for the plec, I agree you should post in the emergency section. I also think that if it has an internal infection/parasites that it could be that which is causing the white patches. So I'd get a post up there asap, cause you may be medicating for the wrong illness.

Good luck. Sounds like you're trying hard, I hope it pays off for you.

I used the same stuff in a huge goldfish tank once, purely because it was cheap and had no problems. Stats stayed the same. Also I didn't find it to be sharp either. There are different shapes but nothing that would harm fish.

Although saying that if your pleco stays on the ground much It might be better to get sand. Although play sands usually give you lots of algae which is good if your pleco eats it.

What do you mean playsand usually gives you algae?

I've known plenty of people use it, none of them have had algae problems...
I use sand and I haven't had any algae problems...

Seems like an odd statement...

And that gravel would be fine for goldfish.
But if Chris wants to have any bottom feeders, or if the plec spends alot of time on the bottom then it could cause problems.

I use sand in my 4 foot fish tank and have had no problems with algae. My plec prefered sand to gravel as he could then shuffle around in it while searching for food. I also think sand looks better than gravel. Although with a messy plec you may have to keep siphoning off the poo to keep it looking nice.

^^ Agreed with the vaccing. But I'm currently in the process of getting a nice carpet of plants growing on my sand bed. I'm hoping that it'll make things look a bit tidier! :)

What do you mean playsand usually gives you algae?

I've known plenty of people use it, none of them have had algae problems...
I use sand and I haven't had any algae problems...

Seems like an odd statement...

And that gravel would be fine for goldfish.
But if Chris wants to have any bottom feeders, or if the plec spends alot of time on the bottom then it could cause problems.

It was a while ago now so i cant remember in detail but there is something in play sand that encourages algae to grow. Its high in something but i cant remember what it is. Other sands and aquatic sands are fine, its was just play sand. I will have a look and see if i can find what i am on about.

So i went to B&Q and picked up a "Clearence" bag of gravel, around 25KG+ for 50pence.

Bad news is.... some of it fizz's in vinegar... So can i use it?

Sand is tempting (price/look) however maintenance (poo clearly visible) is off putting (Plus the whole sand > filter thing) and if you have to turn the filter off, then wont bacteria die?

I think you might be meaning that it is high in silicates...

But to be honest this shouldn't cause any sort of algae problem.
And as I said, I know too many people who have and do still use play sand that have had no problems whatsoever.

I'd hazard that whoever was having an algae problem had probably caused a mini cycle when they switched to sand, or generally had an ammonia spike (doesn't have to be detectable at the time of noticing the bloom for there to have been a spike)
Or it could've just been a new set-up, so not yet mature and stable. Hence algae outbreaks.

I wouldn't use it if it fizzes. Also what sort of size/shape is it? You may have rules out having bottom feeders with your gravel choice.

And what about sand and filter? You wont have any problems with sand hurting the filter...

What do you mean if you turn the filter off the bacteria will die?
I had mine off for 2 periods of 3 hours the other weekend while doing a tank shuffle.
And my dad turned it off when he was feeding my fish, forgot to turn it back on, and then went to bed! 10 hours or so he woke up, noticed, and switched it back on.

I didn't have any noticable ammonia spike at all.
The bacteria are hardier than you're giving them credit for! :lol:

Yeah i suppose, i just have it in my mind that these bacteria are weak and will die easily(No idea how long they'd live without food supply?). Although im sure i read they have their own "little store" which they consume?

Its a variety of shapes, some bigger than others its not ideal (smooth/small/round) but the gravel in nature isnt either? and the old gravel i had wasn't either and had no issues.

I mean turning filter off when putting the sand in (to stop it being sucked up when it mists up the tank). Also about the filter sucking it up when the plec goes crazy and swims off(leaving a big misty stir).

Only thing putting me off sand is maintenance mainly, i guess black sand would be ideal (but i'm sure thats a fortune!).

No gravel in nature isn't perfect and small and round...but then not all fish come from areas where they live above gravel...
Obviously fish that come from areas which have rough gravel beds will be fine on that sort of substrate.

But many of the bottom feeders, corys, kuhli loach etc. Come from places which have sand or soil as a substrate and therefore this is what they are suited too. And things like rough gravel can cause them harm.

Yeah i read that about the corys, although are people not giving them enough credit? Surely they're not on some self harming mission and would adjust their 'approach'?

Anyhow, having looked at sand tanks its looking more appealing...hmm wonder how many bag's i'd need for my tank?

Guess i can raise the filter inlet pipe so it wont suck up the sand, and perhaps place wood/slate around there also. However black sand would be ideal, won't see the poop so clearly which is a good thing. However no idea where i can find cheap black sand...hm.

No they wont be on a 'self harming' mission :lol:, but after decades of living in a certain way they have adapted to sand and soil and a certain way of feeding. They wont go 'oh this is sharp gravel so I'd better be careful'.
They will just be more likely to hurt themselves on it.

Don't know how much sand you would need. I'd have thought just 1 15kg bag.

And black sand does exist. Sadly it isn't cheap :( Otherwise I would have it too.
There is some very small black pea gravel...but again it isn't cheap.

Lol, ah i'm very close to going with sand... hmmm.

I suppose its me being lazy not wanting to hoover poop every 3rd day, bit like having to walk my familys dog :D !

On a second note, with regaurds to ill fish - Are the illness's within the fish therefore removing the fish "cure the tank", or will they live on and infect new fish?
As i'm tempted to give my ill fish to my local pet shop rather than spend a fortune "curing" them. (My girlfriend says that horrible, but i don't bond to fish)

A fish shop will not accept ill fish as it will infect their other stock. You must rid your tank of any infections before you restock your tank.

I rehomed my plec because of the constant pooing maintaining the tank became a real chore. That and the fact that it was a species that grew to like 6 foot or something.

If you want sand but do not want the hassle of maintaining a clean look then consider rehoming the plec AFTER you have cured it and get other fish that arent as messy.

If you want to keep plants I also suggest that you take the opportunity to invest in some form of substrate that will 'feed' your plants.

Look in the plants and planted tank sections for more infomation on this. The people that frequesnt this section of the forum are very clued in.

Most reactions

Back