Redline Halfbeak

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fish48

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
yesterday I bought 4 pairs of Redline Halfbeak (Hemirhamphodon tengah today they are showing a bit more colour and feeding on live mosquito larvae and flake food, hopefully I'll get fry from them soon

IMG_7482.JPG

Female

ive always wanted to keep these but they are aggressive and cannot pit em in comm tank

Halfbeaks aren't that agro. Most of them starve or get bashed by other fish in the tank so a single species tank with lots of plants is best for them.

I've got my halfbeaks combined with my Xiphophorus Rio jimba, Skiffia multipunctata and redtail splitfins. Works perfectly.
but they will probably eat poecilia reticulata fry

I prefer to keep my fish in a species tank when possible I also know what combination of livebearers can be kept together
redtail splitfins introduced to the UK fish hobby in 1972 back in the day there was not a lot of information about this species many fish keepers tried to keep them in community tanks with long fin Guppies and other slow moving fish the redtail splitfins soon got a bad reputation of being a fin nipper. they're not as bad as they have been made out to be I find when kept in a group of 8 or more they tend to not bother other fish kept with them

I prefer to keep my fish in a species tank when possible I also know what combination of livebearers can be kept together
redtail splitfins introduced to the UK fish hobby in 1972 back in the day there was not a lot of information about this species many fish keepers tried to keep them in community tanks with long fin Guppies and other slow moving fish the redtail splitfins soon got a bad reputation of being a fin nipper. they're not as bad as they have been made out to be I find when kept in a group of 8 or more they tend to not bother other fish kept with them
Like a lot of othere splitfin species (so, not all), they can be fin nippers.
they can eat poecilia reticulata Fry or anything that will fit in a mouth to solve that problem keep them well fed at all times
But they'll leave their own fry alone.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
  • Essjay
Back