Red Tailed Shark With Neons?

RedTail123

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 3 inch red tailed shark in with some serpae tetra in a 55 gallon. I want to add some small schooling fish like neon tetra, do you think the RTS could eat full sized neon tetra?

Ive seen a red tail eat neons, it should be okay but I wouldnt risk it, but I maybe wrong, you better wait for someone with more experience with red tails to tell you.

Red tail black sharks are mainly herbivorous, so neons are probably safe. Generally they are only aggressive towards similarly shaped/sized species.

Any fish will likely eat another that fits in its mouth though, so depends on the size of the sharks mouth, and the neons.

I feel a fully grown RTBS eating an adult neon is unlikely though, so long term they are good tankmates :good:.

I found a fish store that sells large neons, i'll probably get some and hope for the best! :)

I introduced an albino red tail to my tank and within minutes it went nuts destroying 3 of my neons I wouldn't take the risk again personally but you may have better luck the neons it killed we very big too a lot bigger than the sharks mouth so I don't know why it happend its up to you let us know if they do get on ok maybe I had a rouge shark lol

I have a rtbs with cardinals, they are slightly bigger than the neons but he doesnt bother them at all and he was in the tank first. I guess it sometimes depends on the shark you have, some will say like above it ripped he's to shreads others like me who just keeps to himself. Have you thought about cardinals instead of neons, bigger in size and better looking imo?

I have a rtbs with cardinals, they are slightly bigger than the neons but he doesnt bother them at all and he was in the tank first. I guess it sometimes depends on the shark you have, some will say like above it ripped he's to shreads others like me who just keeps to himself. Have you thought about cardinals instead of neons, bigger in size and better looking imo?

Yeah my shark was once with tigerbarbs and he was the most agressive and territorial fish in the tank, but once i gave the tigerbarbs away and got serpae tetra he settled down. I've heard of cardinal tetras but i heard they're hard to care for, is this true?

I introduced an albino red tail to my tank and within minutes it went nuts destroying 3 of my neons I wouldn't take the risk again personally but you may have better luck the neons it killed we very big too a lot bigger than the sharks mouth so I don't know why it happend its up to you let us know if they do get on ok maybe I had a rouge shark lol

It seems all RTS have different personalities :nod:

Yeah my shark was once with tigerbarbs and he was the most agressive and territorial fish in the tank, but once i gave the tigerbarbs away and got serpae tetra he settled down. I've heard of cardinal tetras but i heard they're hard to care for, is this true?

Cardinals are not hard to care for per se, but it can be hard to find good ones at your fs to buy. They seem to have problems in newer unplanted tanks. That's why they don't do so well at the dealers. But, if you can find a fs that has had a group in for a week or so and they're doing well, and you supervise as they catch you some (they'll love you for that! LOL), you'll probably be ok. Make sure you get all full bodied good looking ones.

Cardinals are not hard to care for per se, but it can be hard to find good ones at your fs to buy. They seem to have problems in newer unplanted tanks. That's why they don't do so well at the dealers. But, if you can find a fs that has had a group in for a week or so and they're doing well, and you supervise as they catch you some (they'll love you for that! LOL), you'll probably be ok. Make sure you get all full bodied good looking ones.
[/quote]

My tank isn't planted but this december it's been running for a year. Do you think it's established enough for Cardinals?

It seems all RTS have different personalities :nod:

Yeah it would seem so I'm thinking when I have got all the fish I want ill add a shark last and keep an I eye on him hopefully being put in last he won't think it is his territory

Yes you have to ask your lfs wether if there fish are captive breed or wild caught,wilds tender to not adjust to our water well and die pretty quick where the tank breed are hardier so have a chat with your lfs. Your tank has been up and running long enough for them. Your shark was probably intimidated by the aggressive barbs so felt it had to stick up for itself. Thats beest idea smokeyjo dont let it gain territory first.

Yes you have to ask your lfs wether if there fish are captive breed or wild caught,wilds tender to not adjust to our water well and die pretty quick where the tank breed are hardier so have a chat with your lfs. Your tank has been up and running long enough for them. Your shark was probably intimidated by the aggressive barbs so felt it had to stick up for itself. Thats beest idea smokeyjo dont let it gain territory first.

I knew the reason for the agression was the tigerbarbs when i added the tetras and the agression was gone, i remember telling my dad it would be ok to put him in with the serpae tetras, but he didn't believe me, i guese i proved him wrong ;). Hopefully i can find Tank-Bred Cardinals :).

Most reactions

Back