Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Livestock: 4 Red tailed Red eye puffers - Cainotetraodon irrubesco
Quantity for sale: 4 - 2male 2 female
Reason for Sale: Lack of time to look after them - they were an unexpected gift
Delivery or Collection: Collection welcome but I will deliver if you are reasonably local
Sales price: £4 each or £15 for all 4
Postage & Packaging: n/a
Photograph: Coming soon

I acquired these from a friend about 2 months ago along with a 10 gallon tank (which is for sale also). I intended to get them a bigger tank as they are very very active! Longer tanks are better than squares and I would say 20 gallons minimum - I have absolutely fallen for these guys so a good home is a must me and my partner are gutted that we can not keep them as they are so friendly they have been fed on live food as well as fresh prawns but they do take flake. There are 2 males and 2 females and all seem to be close to full grown. My friend had them for nearly a year so they are a little over a year old I think. The four mix well but they do need a good tank.

Wills :)

Bump again :) Ill cut the price to £10 for all 4. If not its off to the LFS in an attempt to get credit :/

Wills

hi im a puffer freak witha fahaka puffer ( Freshwater ). I have heard about these little puffers are quite cute :D.
I got a few spare tanks so I could have em if your still selling? But first I need to know what condition they are in, any diseases? also How long are they?
Can you deliver by post I wouldnt mind payin extra for special / first class delivery?

Hi there yeah these are absolutely cute! When I first got them one of the females had a little cloudy eye but good water and good food cleared that up to bright red in about 2 days. All fins are in good shape no rips the males have their full stripes and the females have spekly bellies, the females are smaller than males but the largest male is about full grown I think he is a little over 2 inches and the other male is around 1.5 these 2 do chase a bit but in a bigger tank I think this will fade out.

I'm okay with postage I've not done it before but ill give it a go if you want. I think I will need heatpacks and some boxes I would pack the females together but maybe keep the males separate I can get some plastic containers because their beaks could rip bags. So I am thinking if I tape up the top of the containers put the heat pack underneath then put them in a long box and pad it with paper and bubble wrap. Do you think that will work? I'm reluctant to use royal mail due to the strikes but there is a DHL place near me I could give a go?

Where abouts do you live I dont might a bit of a drive as long as they are safe if you help me out a bit with petrol (depending on distance)

Wills

packing them in a water tight box about 1 - 2 Litre is sufficient enough to hold them all the for the journey. I live in london so a bit far for you to come by car! Id say go to your Local DHL and find out how much it would cost to deliver to london? I dont mind helping out with P&P :)

I dont mind helping out with P&P :)

I'm pretty sure he's going to expect you to cover ALL the P&P not just "help him out"! They are a bargain, if my tank had finished cycling I would have had them in a heartbeat...........just come about 2 weeks to early for me!

Yeah london is a bit too far was thinking like an hour each way max lol. Ill work out the postage costs for you but all postage and packing will have to be paid for by you as it would probably be easier for me to take them to LFS for store credit. Im guessing the weight of it is going to be quite expensive and heat packs are not that cheap either. Its upto you though.

Yeah london is a bit too far was thinking like an hour each way max lol. Ill work out the postage costs for you but all postage and packing will have to be paid for by you as it would probably be easier for me to take them to LFS for store credit. Im guessing the weight of it is going to be quite expensive and heat packs are not that cheap either. Its upto you though.

Hi, I won't mind buying them, i live in Doncaster which it takes me about 40 minutes to Hull, will you be able to deliver by car and i'll pay so much for the fuel costs, or i might be able to come down. Is it £10 for all four of them? Where abouts are you in Hull?
Thanks.

Hi yeah that sounds good to me but I would prefer it if you came to pick them up. Its £10 for all 4 The main reason I am selling these is due to them needing a bigger tank than I can provide I would recommend a 20+ tank for these and also to house them alone or with a small school of very very fast fish a good person to ask about these is neale monks as he is a true expert. I would keep them away from other oddballs like eels, or cichlids and non fish critters like shrimp or bigger as the puffers will just "damage" them.

I really want a good home for these guys so I need to trust you with the home you can give them. They are absolutely fantastic fish and when I have time and actual space for 2 tanks I will defiantly be getting some more.

Let me know and stuff

Wills

Hi yeah that sounds good to me but I would prefer it if you came to pick them up. Its £10 for all 4 The main reason I am selling these is due to them needing a bigger tank than I can provide I would recommend a 20+ tank for these and also to house them alone or with a small school of very very fast fish a good person to ask about these is neale monks as he is a true expert. I would keep them away from other oddballs like eels, or cichlids and non fish critters like shrimp or bigger as the puffers will just "damage" them.

I really want a good home for these guys so I need to trust you with the home you can give them. They are absolutely fantastic fish and when I have time and actual space for 2 tanks I will defiantly be getting some more.

Let me know and stuff

Wills
I think i should be able to pick them up this week. I will put them in my 25 gallon tank and i do have cichlids however i can put them in a 4ft tank that i'm getting this week. Will they be fine with 2 figure 8 puffers if not otherwise i'll keep the figure 8 puffers with the cichlids. Can you send me pics of them to [email protected] please.
Also can you leave me your contact details (mobile/phone number) and i will call you when i am available to pick them up.
Thanks.

The 25 gallon sounds ideal I would get the cichlids into the 4 foot and the 25 will be fantastic :D The figure 8's are a brakish fish which means they need a little salt I have heard of good results of red eye red tails mixing well with south american puffers but not fig 8s I think its upto you but of the 2 tanks I would put the fig 8s in the 4 foot just due to their size when beaks are involved its a bit worse to over crowd them as they can rip flesh pretty easily which is needless to say bad for the fish and a nasty clean up for you.

I'll pm my details later on and get you some pics in the morning. If you could get here Thursday any time or Friday morning they would be the best times for me.

Thanks Wills :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back