Red striped killis and neocaridina shrimp

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Neondoras

Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick question, I was looking at getting some red striped killis for my 60L cube (~15 gallons) as they looked amazing in my LFS. Iā€™ve been doing research on them, but havenā€™t found any info on whether they attack cherry shrimp or not and was hoping someone here could give me some advice me. I already have some in the tank, so donā€™t want them to get decimated!

Also what would be the best amount/mix of males and females for my tank size (I was thinking one male two females and seeing if they breed!)?

Thanks in advance :)

Here's my problem. I've bred killies for 30 plus years, and have never heard the name "red striped killie" used. It could be a dozen different fish, or more, if that name describes it. I can probably help, but I'll need the Latin name.

With my Aphyosemions, I kept shrimp once, as I was going to be away and I thought maybe there's be a live food side with shrimplets. I was right - there were very few young shrimp over about a year, but the adults were fine. Red striped is probably either striatum or gabunense (or ottogartneri, or ogoense, or...) and they were what I had with the shrimp.

Oh sorry guys! connorlindeman is right I meant Aphyosemion striatum, theyā€™re labelled as red striped in my lfs. Thanks for the replies, I have adult orange neocaridina and was hoping theyā€™d be ok, but if they start dwindling I may have to rescue them!

Neocardinias stood no chance in my Heterandria Formosa species tank. Put em alongside each other in my nano community tank and theyā€™re safe as houses though.
Would that work with killis? Iā€™ve never had killis by the way.

When I caught wild Heterandria formosa, the net was always half full of ghost shrimp. Where I found one, I found the other. The little Elassoma pygmy sunfish and Heterandria livebearers look at shrimp like wolves look at buffalo.

Aphyosemion behave differently with them, with a focus on the younger, smaller shrimp. Soft and tasty adults moulting would probably be a hit. With other Genera of killies, I don't know. It's a possible mistake I still haven't made yet...

Most reactions

Back