Red Robin Gourami

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Bala Sharker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
got these about two weeks ago and they were more orange and white now they are turning more orange and black is this normal

also are they there own species or are they just a variation of another type of gourami

got these about two weeks ago and they were more orange and white now they are turning more orange and black is this normal

also are they there own species or are they just a variation of another type of gourami
ive never heard of a red robin gourami, can you post a pic so we can id it? generally fish going darker is a sign of stress and when i kept dwarf gouramis in the past this was a sure sign on them.
how many do you have and is there any bullying or a dominant fish?

lfs had them labelled as red robin gourami. i have four of them in with my seven harlequins in a 15 gal tank. the lfs said they would be fine, there doesnt seem to be any bullying or territorial dominance

al the water stats are good

its the two biggest ones so cud it be that they are just becoming mature ill try get a pic up but i have never done it before

right so tell me if ya can see them or not pics arent great as i cudnt get them to sit still
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy39/bala_sharker/fish/IMGP0227.jpg
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy39/bala_sharker/fish/IMGP0240.jpg
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy39/bala_sharker/fish/IMGP0239.jpg
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy39/bala_sharker/fish/IMGP0238.jpg
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy39/bala_sharker/fish/IMGP0228.jpg

got the links to the pics, next time paste the img code and the pics will appear on screen :good:
just googled the red robin gourami and it looks like the flame gourami perhaps just a varient of name... :unsure: if they are grey/dark then they are stressed for some reason as they should be quite a bright red/orange in colour. with groups of gouramis you have to be carefull as they will harrass each other non stop. i had the same with a trio of dwarf gouramis, i removed the bully and another one became the bully so i removed it and all was good until i added a few angels and it bullied the angels that were 3 x the size :crazy: when mine were getting bullied they went really dark almost black sometimes!

I found an interesting comment on the website that nmonks writes on. It says that red robin gouramis are curious because no-one really knows what they are. The most commonly sold ones are hybrids between dwarf and honey gouramis, and the quality is variable. Sometimes red dwarf gouramis are sold as red robins, as are red honey gouramis.
The fish in your pics don't look quite right for either pure honey or pure dwarf, so perhaps yours are hybrids.

I reckon they're just very poor red honey specimens. Looking at them their fins are an exact match for the honey gourami but not the dwarf gourami.
They should be much much brighter than they are.

What are you feeding them on and have you noticed anything odd like odd coloured poop or worms or anything?

RedFireGourami1.jpg

^^ Red dwarf
neon-red-dwarf-gourami.jpg

^^ Neon red dwarf

RedHoneyGourami.jpg

^^ Red honey (this is most commonly sold as a red robin but the red dwarfs and neon red dwarfs can also be sold under this name).

Oh and for the record I VERY much doubt that honeys and dwarfs can crossbreed. They used to be in the same genus but are now in different genus'. This implies they're not genetically similar, they just look similar.

feeding them flakes shud i be feeding somethin different

i havent noticed any bullying. two are turning blackish two have stayed the same colour since i bought them

I feed mine a range of foods. Flake, brine shrimp, floating mini pellets and if she's fast enough before it sinks cichlid pellets.
It's nice to give them a variety to make sure they're not missing out on anything.
Having looked at the pictures they do seem a bit underweight, but that could just be the blur playing a trick.

And where abouts are they going black, is it like this...
honey.jpg

It'll start by them just looking like they have a dirty face/tummy.
So it could just be that they're males that are beginning to mature.

its the top half of them thats starting to turn black not from the bottom ill try get some better pics up soon

the harelquins do take alot of the flake first as they r alot quicker but i always wait to see that they do get a bit. wat would odd looking poop look like

Anything that isn't sort of a greeny browny colour.
I just had a think by the way, if you can find any floating algae pellets I bet they're appreciate those. I often find my female browsing my plants and ornaments for algae imbetween meals.

IMGP0269.jpg

the black one in the fore ground against the normal one just behind it
the poo seems to be whiteish in colour i noticed just there kinda worried bout them now anything i shud do

they do seem to browse but there is no algae for them to eat so i mite try find some of those algae things

Whiteish poop isn't a good sign. And they do look a bit sickly. I'm not fish disease expert but if you post in the emergency section hopefully someone can help :)
Have you noticed any worms coming out of their backsides or any inflammation round the anus?

Just read some 'white poop' threads on here. And Wilder often recommends treating for internal parasites so basically 'worming' the fish. Are you UK based Bala Sharker?

Just read some 'white poop' threads on here. And Wilder often recommends treating for internal parasites so basically 'worming' the fish. Are you UK based Bala Sharker?

im in ireland ill read some of the threads now

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back