Red Oscar Substrate Colour

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bub

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Just to clarify before I ask, I'm likely not actually getting an oscar. I have the opportunity to get a 150 gallon tank - not sure if I'll actually go for it.

Basically I would still like to ask about this as I am going to get a red oscar one day even if not soon. In your opinion would a dark or light coloured substrate be better to enhance the orange/yellow colour of the red oscar rather than the actual red colouration? The pics I've seen of them have really nice yellowy orange colours and I want that one day. Not a huge fan of the red colour though.

So would dark (black) coloured substrate enhance the brightness of the fish or cause it to darken naturally as an attempt at camouflage?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

dark coloured substrates (and backgrounds) always show off the fish better. The fish feel more secure against the dark base and back and will be less stressed.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

dark coloured substrates (and backgrounds) always show off the fish better. The fish feel more secure against the dark base and back and will be less stressed.
Thanks! Alright that's good to hear, I was thinking black sand/gravel and black background but wan't sure if that would cause the colour of the fish to blacken like my bolivian rams. Thanks again!

Too much black can be an issue. I prefer natural brown gravel and a dark blue or dark green background when there are black fish in the tank.

Too much black can be an issue. I prefer natural brown gravel and a dark blue or dark green background when there are black fish in the tank.
Funnily enough natural brown gravel was actually the first that I was looking to get. While setting up the other three tanks I could only ever find black, white, light tan and then all of the reds and blues etc. If I can find brown I would definitely go for it

Which country do you live in?

There is a company near me that sells gravel and sand, and members of the public can buy it by the bag. You might have something similar near you.

I'm from Ireland. I've only ever actually checked my LFS, but I'm going up North sometime this month so I can actually check there as the fish shops there are great. If I can't find it there I'll look elsewhere or order online or something. I've never actually been happy with the tannish/whitish gravel I have and I definitely want to do my next tank right!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back