Red fuzz in my tank

hjovel888

Reaction score
Can someone tell.me how to get rid of this in my cichlid tank all over the rocks and wood
Thanks in advance
1000001705.jpg

growth wise it looks like black beard algae but never seen it red like that so take the suggestion with a grain of salt.

Black beard algae. Most people don't know that it's actually a genus of red algae...an absolute pain to get rid of. I quite like it when it's this colour but if it's not your thing it will drive you nuts. Keep your Nitrates as close to 0 if you can...you could take the rock out and scrub it with a wire brush or use a treatment, some folks use hydrogen peroxide although never done it myself

Red algae as mentioned above by Mon Capitan Barnicles. We used to take the rocks outside and hose them off, then let them dry for a few days in the sun. It helped but the spores are in the tank and it will probably grow back.

Black Beard Algae..that stuff took over my aquarium and refused to go away for over a year.
It wasn’t until I reset the aquarium; replacing everything except the heater and empting out the aquarium and cleaning it did it finally go away.

I am one of those people who use hydrogen peroxide. I’d take a bucket and fill it up until I could fully submerge the affected decor. I would stick the affected decor in there for about 15 minutes. I then would wash it in fish water then stick it back in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back