Red external sack

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mjoy

Reaction score
Does anyone know what this is? Looks like an internal organ but not sure only on one side Just discovered this morning Fish eating and swimming normally. No other fish affected
35F97924-F461-4815-9231-D71BB0CAE142.jpeg

Maybe a heater burn or it’s got wedged somewhere n struggled to get out ? Looks kind of fresh

Maybe a heater burn or it’s got wedged somewhere n struggled to get out ? Looks kind of fresh
Thanks but I don’t think a burn. The pic doesn’t show the detail enough. The translucent sack or bulb extends out nearly 1/4 inch and flutters when the fish is swimming

@Mjoy That's interesting about the wound fluttering . Sounds like the fish brushed up against something pretty hard and got wounded somehow. I had a fish recently that looked like it was passing an internal organ out its anus and was going to die soon. That went on for a couple weeks and now it cleared up as fast as it came on. Weird things happen with fish and sometimes there just isn't any explanation but fish are tough. Fish are resilient and many times they get better on their own. All you can do at this point is as you say , monitor it for a couple days. Good luck.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Need more pictures from different angles and if possible a video showing the sack and fish.

If it is a sack coming out of the body, the fish has been injured and ripped its side open and part of the intestine or an internal organ is sticking out.
There's not normally any cure and the fish usually die from infections.

If it doesn't go back in by itself in the next 24 hours, I would euthanise the fish.

Something else is going on as well. The fins (dorsal, caudal and anal) haven nipped quite a bit. Who are the tank mates?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back