Red Clawed Crab Vs. Fiddler Crab

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bymauldin

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new on this side of the forum.

I've been looking for some time now into setting up a crab tank and I've finally decided to take the plunge. My only real concern is which crab I should get-the Fiddler or the Red Claw. I was hoping that some of you would share your opinions with me.
I have a 10 gal aquarium. It will be brackish and it will be part land and part water. I was looking at the tank set up at this website and find it amazing. Does anyone have anything like that? If I were to silicone a divider for land and water could the divider be removed at a later date without ruining the tank?
Also, is filtration necessary if you do frequent water changes? My LFS told me that an airstone would suffice. Is this true? You know how LFS are....

All input welcome.
Much thanks! :good:

Well I have 8 RCCs and im thinking of making them a new home, if i dont end up giving them away. Never had a fiddler, but RCCs are intresting, I just dont have them in a good enviornment, the one in your link encourages me to do something similar tho.

My experience with red claw crabs is you usually end up one big one in the end :p
out of all the batches ive own, they canabalise eachother leaving the largest and most greedy one!

I'm not sure with fiddler Crabs.

But maybe its silimar,
for your sake i hope its not :D

So, it's kind of like watching a crab version of "Survivor"? :huh: Sounds interesting...

From all the previous post that I've read the Fiddler and RCC pretty much require the same things so I may end up just getting which ever type they have available at the LFS.

Either way, I'll have my video camera rolling... :cool:

I just did a good look up on the internet about RCC,

if they're well fed, they tend to leave eachother alone ^^
Brackish water is also a thumbs up, though im sure you was already
planning on doing that ^^
Same care is suggested for fiddler crabs.

Just as with both they do need an area out of water they can climb to.
Not to mention a Secure tank as they are escape artists ^^

They're pretty much the same care-wise, as stated, it's just a question of preference. I personally don't like the look of the fiddler males.

Be sure to post pics when you get them. :lol:

They're pretty much the same care-wise, as stated, it's just a question of preference. I personally don't like the look of the fiddler males.

Be sure to post pics when you get them. :lol:

Yes- my male is a poo-poo brown.

The Fiddlers can sometimes "act in there own world" as they will wave at a mate or just wave the claw to see who waves back? gets kinda funny.. The RCCs do get in fighting stances alot more then the fiddler but they don't seem to want to kill eachother just yet.. I like the RCCs better just because they have a more attractive appearence.

My experience with red claw crabs is you usually end up one big one in the end :p
out of all the batches ive own, they canabalise eachother leaving the largest and most greedy one!

I'm not sure with fiddler Crabs.

But maybe its silimar,
for your sake i hope its not :D
thats interesting. i have never heard of RCC being Cannibalistic. or even fighting, unless there is not enough dry space. even then, its posturing, not contact. the are actually, veg based omnivores, so its not "natural", unless the RCC, being eaten, is dead or dying. i too have no experience of fiddler's. but Fiddler's, covers several different crabs, whilst RCC is just one.

RCC can survive in brackish water of, 1-5ppm salt. ideally they need about 3 times more land than water. they are escapologyists par excellence, so a tight fitting lid is a must. they also need "heat" lights to warm the land area. they are a LAND CRAB, as such spend very little time in the water. they use water as a "dining table, toilet and health spa (brackish water helps fight shell mould,and other bacterial infections).

I'm sure you've chosen by now but for anyone stumbling upon this thread.. I currently have both a RCC and Fiddler and will tell you with 100% certainty, Fiddlers are SOOOOOOOOOOO much more interesting than the RCC. True, if you ONLY have a ton of RCC and no where to hide, they may pose more interest, but even then its a maybe. Tarzan, my Fiddler, is the center of attention in our 30+ member tank, without question!
While it took him a month or so to realize everyone else was faster than him and it took his fellow tankmates a few weeks to realize to steer clear of Tarzans 1 claw, everyone quickly reached a happy equilibrium. He loves to climb, usually up plants, jumps to plants, then climbs airpump lines to above surface. Ninja, our RCC, is probably better at climbing as she somehow does it in the dark with less help, but shes more or less a buzzkill. Hides 90% of the time, 9% climbs to hide in the wall heater, and 1% of the time spent being awesome. I wonder your own experiences!?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back