Red Claw Crab Nano Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DanielAnderson

Reaction score
Hi all
I was wanting to convert one of my 3 gallon nano tanks to a red claw crab tank. As it is a quite small tank and is taller than wide, i was hoping to relieve some of the crabs' stress by putting in ares of land. i really want this tank to be something special and as aquascaping isn't a strength of mine, i was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with ideas. i can buy any materials at my lfs.
Thanks so much for your help

You must have areas of land for them so that's good. Keep in mind they are escape artists and will climb out if there's any way at all they can. 3 gallons is a bit small to work with, I personally feel you will have trouble with him getting out. However, a soft mud-like substrate and a single rock that comes out of the water should suffice.

i think there better suited in a 10 gallon tank if you wanted a non stressed crab.

At least 10 gallons. I kept them in 29. Of course I had more than one but still...they need room and I don't think even one crab would get it in a 3 gallon. But, if you are going to do it then that would be how I would set it up.

I don't feel comfortable personally recommending that. They have specialized needs which you can try in a small tank but I just worry that the water quality will be too hard to manage and the size will make the crab want to escape. I've kept quite a few of these crabs over the years, as well as fiddler and ghost crabs and a host of others and they require more space than you think.

You might be better off going with something like shrimp.

Tek oot.

Hi there!  I have Fiddlers, so am sure we are in the same boat.  I was told two fiddler males (at the store) would live in a fishbowl...in freshwater.  I bought two and brought them home.  When I first saw them at the store, they were dancing around on the bottom of a tank full of water and fish overhead.  I thought they were so cute...and didn't realize they were frantic.  Next morning after I got them, I researched on the net...and went straight away and bought a 5 gallon tank...in the next week, I bought a ten gallon.  Yes, they need to be able to get out of the water, that's VERY IMPORTANT!  I have pics on my blog of my aquarium set up, if you'd like to visit there.  If you really want to make your red claws happy, please think about starting out with a bigger tank.  They love to roam.  I have artificial plants and places for them (my Fiddlers) to hide...but you will see new pics today of what one of my males, "Salty" has done to modify a artificial log I have in the tank...AMAZING!  Mine all seem to be very happy...I have too many in a 10g (3 males and 9 females...I keep rescuing them, because I know they are going to die at the store...of course, the more I buy, the more they bring in...fiscious circle), but they are in harmony...and we're about to get a 20.  Evidently they are content, as they all molt, eat...and as you can see, dig holes!  Let me know if there is anything I can do for you...you will LOVE THEM...they are SO MUCH FUN TO WATCH...Fiddlers are, and I am sure Red Claws will be too! :0)  Rebecca

Sorry, I need to clarify...I was TOLD they were freshwater...they aren't...they live in brackish water...but that is easy to make...I was also told they would live in a fishbowl and do not need land...all wrong wrong wrong!  They will die if they do...Also read, that if they can't get out of the water, they get so depressed and frustrated, they give up and die...a small tank might cause the same reaction...read, it's best to have a 10g for 2 males...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back