FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ingrid

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have been given a 15 litres tank and have planted it densely with low growing plants . I am wondering is this suitable for red cherry shrimps and am wondering how many to keep in there . Care tips are also welcome

I have been given a 15 litres tank and have planted it densely with low growing plants . I am wondering is this suitable for red cherry shrimps and am wondering how many to keep in there . Care tips are also welcome
hmm so it's like around 4 gallons. I would say about 10 but is it wide or tall?

10 is a good starting point whatever size your tank is. They are fairly prolific breeders. In my case I started with 10, 3 died in the first week and a couple of months later I had lots more. I have no idea how many I have today :).

Unlike some live bearers they will not keep multiplying until they burst out of the tank. The population will keep growing until it reaches a sustainable level and then stabilise. Treat them pretty much like fish. A 25 to 50% water change every week (assuming no fish). Some people say not to do big changes but this is not a problem for cherries. Mine get 75% a week and a couple of times I have done 90% changes.

Feed quality fish or shrimp food. Be very sparing with the food, they are only little. They will eat algae and biofilm but do enjoy being fed too. They do need a filter as they are sensitive to ammonia, nitrite and nitrate but a simple sponge filter will do. If you use another type of filter use some sponge over the inlets to stop the shrimplets from being sucked in.

They are happy in a fairly wide range when it comes to hardness, pH and temperature. Make sure that any plants you put in are shrimp safe. Any plants imported from outside the EU will have been treated with pesticide that will kill all your shrimp. In most cases such plants cannot ever be made shrimp safe. They are quite sensitive to toxins so be careful about making sure your hands, and anything else you put in the tank, are clean. Don't panic, they are a lot hardier than many people give them credit for.

And finally prepare to spend many hours watching them ;). If you are buying on-line I can recommend Pro Shrimp. They also sell plants that are guaranteed shrimp safe and have some useful care guides on their site.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back