Red-bellied Piranhas

Youngie90

Reaction score
Hi all
I have been keeping tropical fish for over 3 years now so i know a little about them. Now i was wantting to move on to a more better looking harder to keep fish the Red-Bellied Piranhas that i konw very little about bar they eat live gold fish i was wanting to konw if anyone know any thing about them that they could share with me? -_-

What tank set up? -_-
What do they eat bar gold fish? :huh:
hard to keep or not? -_-
how to clean them out as they bit you ? :blink:
what size tanks ? :unsure:

i would like to know anythink at all!! -_-

What I'd do if i get them -

120g, 6 red bellies.
Never feed goldfish, just frozen meaty foods maybe try pellets.
Easy to keep.
They are skitish and unliekly to bite you unless they are trapped.

my fat fish, no you don't, it all depends on where you live, here I could walk and get them in other places (U.S.A and others I think) they are illegal.

Goldfish are very bad for other fish to eat, there's a pinned topic in the oddballs section, have a look at it.

All of your questions can be answered in my article on Red Bellied Piranhas and Piranha Central (see my signature).

Nice write-up.

The only thing I see wrong is where you've said that breeding rbp's has only been done a couple times. Thousands of people have had their rbp's breed in their aquariums. Not trying to argue or make you look bad, just was letting you know is all.

Indeed, but few have raised the fry successfully.

All of your questions can be answered in my article on Red Bellied Piranhas and Piranha Central (see my signature).

this info is really good, i used it and am saving up for a piranha tank of my own. AMS helped me a whole lot with all my questions.

as for the U.S.A illegal thing. not all states are illegal to own them. most are outright illegal, some you need a special permit (like i would need since i live in NY), and some it's perfectly legal. it depends on location.

hmm... i think it was you AMS who showed me the little map on where piranhas are illegal in the U.S. could you find it again or i will? i don't know if i saved it because i know i need a permit and don't plan to leave NY so i wouldn't need to know other states. but i will try to find it. if not AMS could you find it (if it was you that showed me it)?

this info is really good, i used it and am saving up for a piranha tank of my own. AMS helped me a whole lot with all my questions.

as for the U.S.A illegal thing. not all states are illegal to own them. most are outright illegal, some you need a special permit (like i would need since i live in NY), and some it's perfectly legal. it depends on location.

hmm... i think it was you AMS who showed me the little map on where piranhas are illegal in the U.S. could you find it again or i will? i don't know if i saved it because i know i need a permit and don't plan to leave NY so i wouldn't need to know other states. but i will try to find it. if not AMS could you find it (if it was you that showed me it)?
Here's the THREAD (page 2) that list the legal/illegal piranha keeping states. Note that the states that require a permit do not give the permits to hobbyists, only research facilities, public aquariums, etc.

Here's the THREAD (page 2) that list the legal/illegal piranha keeping states. Note that the states that require a permit do not give the permits to hobbyists, only research facilities, public aquariums, etc.

thanks AMS i was having some trouble finding it. :good:

hello

i have a red belly piranha for 5 years

he is in a 30 gal breeder tank

i did fed god fish for 1-2 years no promblems but keeping a stock of them sucked in other tank
i now feed nightcrawlers for last 1 1/2 year with no promblems
and easy to find he loves them

also sem to like plant to hind behind

hope u enjoy thou i think if don't have a really big tank i just get one

i started with 2 and one grew faster and ate the other

hello

i have a red belly piranha for 5 years

he is in a 30 gal breeder tank

i did fed god fish for 1-2 years no promblems but keeping a stock of them sucked in other tank
i now feed nightcrawlers for last 1 1/2 year with no promblems
and easy to find he loves them

also sem to like plant to hind behind

hope u enjoy thou i think if don't have a really big tank i just get one

i started with 2 and one grew faster and ate the other

It's almost impossible to have just 2 piranhas. RBP's are very territorial and the smaller one will most likely always be killed off. Minimum 3, imo but you don't have the tank for it. Just letting you know incase you need the info in the future.

It's almost impossible to have just 2 piranhas. RBP's are very territorial and the smaller one will most likely always be killed off. Minimum 3, imo but you don't have the tank for it. Just letting you know incase you need the info in the future.
[/quote]

no i will never put no fish in with him he ate tons of fish

did get lucky with a jack demsy and and a green terror that he didn't eat just niped

he just my great pet he will stay for as long as he lifes

i pet store had one was huge lost most of he's teeth wass 22 yrs old when died was in 30 gal all hes life

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back