Record Keeping

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The Lumpfish Guy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Just curious what and how people keep records on their tanks. if they do at all.
Do you use an app? which one? or is it paper and pencil?

I am looking to see different ways of doing things, and maybe things I can incorporate into my records.

I have a notebook for each tank and record
Temp (daily)
fish condition (daily)
Feed (daily, even if not fed)
Actions taken (eg water change, fert added, removed algae ect)
Water parameters (twice a week)

I used to do this years ago, weekly records of water changes, parameters etc, plus new fish added/fish lost. I don't really bother any more to be honest, although I carry out all the activities. I just don't write them down any more.

The only thing I did was write on the tank with a white paint marker when I was treating fish. I put date and amount of medication used, then drew a line thru each treatment. Other than that I don't care. :)

However, in the shops we use to keep a dead fish diary. Each day when we opened up we did a dead run. Basically we removed dead fish from the tanks. Each dead fish was put in the diary along with the tank number. We had all the tanks numbered so we could keep track of what died where. If there were diseases that needed treating, we put that in the diary too, and we also put it on the tank in the same way I did with the white paint marker.

is there any reason why you stopped, or just tailed off?
I suppose I just wasn't dedicated enough to keep up a diary. Have never been able to have a general diary either. First time was over 30 years ago when I was about 14-15 and I had a fair bit of info. Have tried again a couple of times since but always tail off. I guess as I got into the swing of fish keeping and was confident in what I was doing so didn't feel the need to.

So you don't do anything for your personal tanks?
nope.

If the fish breed I video it. If they have any weird diseases I photograph it and stick it on the hard drive.
I use to test the pH of the tap water about once a month.
I just didn't see much point recording water chemistry or day to day activities in the tank.

I use to have 40 tanks.
Ah that's the dream :wizard: Got to move out of my 3rd floor flat.....:whistle:

I am more religious with it with more tanks, my memory is like a sieve, It means I don't have to remember what it was

I write down dates I purchase fish, occasionally tank params just to check any changes and refer back to. I mainly keep medical records. I list illnesses or diseases and how I treated with which meds. This has been the most helpful in remembering symptoms, diseases, and effective treatment.

Wow! @Colin_T, 40 tanks!!!! That’s crazy!!
When I used to have about 15-20 tanks, I kept a diary of the medication, temperature, water parameters, etc. I guess when I had to give all of them up in the move I stoped.

Thanks for inspiring me to start again!! :)

I keep of record of significant changes/events to my tanks. I just have a page in a folder on my PC, one for each tank. I record the date the tank was set up with the substrate material, light tubes/bulbs data, and if it is a biotope the locale.

Any changes along the way are recorded, for example if I changed out the substrate, when I replace the light tubes/bulbs, if the "theme" changes, etc. Fluorescent tubes must be replaced regularly long before they actually burn out and 12 months (for my T8 tubes) is as long as they should go, so it is very useful knowing when I last changed them on this or that tank. I also record the date I put in new Flourish Tabs because these are every 3 months and I will never remember that long without records. When I had larger tanks with canister filters, the date the filter was cleaned was recorded, again because I will usually fail to remember after a few months.

I have never recorded daily temperature (it never varies anyway) nor feeding as that is so routine; I alternate three upper and three lower prepared foods, with a missed day usually Thursday sometimes Friday, and the frozen "treats" on Sunday a couple hours after the water changes. Easy to remember this.

I did test for pH and nitrate, immediately prior to the weekly water changes, and in a paper notebook as it was easier doing the tests on 8+ tanks and getting wet. I did this for a few years, though not every week after several weeks, and as the results were identical for well over five years...I stopped. Tanks do (or should) become stable biologically, and absolutely nothing is going to change this unless the aquarist meddles in them. The substantial water changes weekly, not overcrowding, not overfeeding, the right mix of species, proper water parameters (natural, no "adjusting" as this is where trouble enters) and proper aquascaping for the species...once you have this down, the tank should remain stable.

Interesting thanks guys, :)
For me keeping the record is part of my hobby ( probably the scientist in me) but I always wonder how/ what everyone else does.
Admittedly I have yet to find someone as committed/weird (delete as appropriate) as me to keeping that record but it's good to know. :)

the only record I keep is a written table of date I do water changes and date I clean (sponges) or replace media (filter floss) and when I do a total filter take down (once a month) for more thorough cleaning . Water changes are done around every 7 to 9 day and I change 50-60% of water at that time. My tanks are heavily planted.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back