Recommended Online Retailers?

Tu13es

New Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
52
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I'm just getting into the hobby and am interested in finding what the trusted fish/aquarium online retailers are. There seem to be a ton of them. What ones are the Amazon/Newegg equivalent to the fish world?

Someone on IRC said there's a thread around with a list of good retailers, but I couldn't find it.

Also, I'm in the US.

Thanks!

EDIT: D'oh. Search was useless but once I posted this thread it showed me a bunch of related posts. Figures. Anyways, if you have recommendations I'd still like to hear them!
 
Hi Tu13es :)

Welcome to the forum! :hi:

I think the place you're seeking is AquaBid. There are many good fish sellers to be found there. :thumbs:

http://AquaBid.com/

Are you looking for any particular kind of fish? If so, perhaps our members can suggest sellers that do not sell through them.
 
Thanks!

Not sure on fish types yet. I'm scoping out tanks on Craigslist and am hoping to pick one up soon. I have a nearby fish specialty place that seems decent online (http://www.theaquariumgallery.com/) but I need to check out in person and see what they're like.
 
Hi Tu13es :)

An aquarium specialty shop is almost always a better place to buy fish than any of the chain stores. The one you posted looks impressive. If it's anywhere close to where you live, try to visit it a number of times and get to know the owner or the people who work there. Sometimes this kind of store will special order a fish you are interested in if you are a regular customer and it's available to them. You save the shipping costs too, which can be expensive.

If you are thinking about Corydoras, I can recommend several good sellers on AquaBid. Here's a link to a site I've bought from. The owner specializes in various small fish and shrimp. He's local to me but he also does mail order.

http://www.franksaquarium.com/
 
Yeah, I plan to drop by sometime soon to check it out. I figure I'll try and find somewhere local to get my fish, especially since I don't want anything rare just yet. Just wasn't sure if local places are the best/cheapest places to get supplies. :)
 
Oh yes, Drs. Forster & Smith have a lot of supplies including many items the other companies don't have. Be sure to go to their website and get on their catalog mailing list. Even if you don't need to buy anything it's fun to look through. I don't like their fish though.

There's also Petsmart (http://www.petsmart.com/) for supplies. They have a good selection of popular supplies and sometimes have free shipping offers, if you spend a certain amount of money. It's the shipping that makes online shopping expensive, so these are a good deal. I've also been told that their online prices are less then their in store prices, but if you print out the page and bring it into a store they will honor it. I've never tried it because there's none of their stores near me.

It pays to shop around. There's a chain in my area called Petland Discounts and they have the best price of any other store around on a 55 gallon tank and stand. I think it's up to around $100 now, but it's still the best deal going. Then you can look for free shipping offers for the hood and lights, filter, etc.

Of course, if you can find a used set up on Craig's List, you will probably get the best deal of all. I wouldn't take a chance on a used heater, but all other equipment is usually fine.
 
Another decent on line supplier in the US is BigAlsOnline. It is not unusual to have Big Al's and Dr F&S to be very close to each other on price. At that point I look at who best matches the list of things that I am looking for and how that particular list comes out including shipping. Both have been very good at getting me exactly what I ordered in a short time frame so it comes down to costs for me.
 
Thanks for the suggestions so far! I do have a local PetSmart, but I haven't been there to check out the fish stuff lately.

The local fish hobbyist place I mentioned above is moving from down the street to an hour away, on Feb 1. :(
 

Most reactions

Back
Top