Realising That Your Lfs Ain't So Good

JustKia

Fish Herder
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
1,068
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Warwickshire, UK
Well, after the rasboras died yesterday, hubby pointed out that almost everything from our LFS (the not so local one) has died.
1 Danio died within an hour of releasing into the tank, 1 only had one eye and died after a couple of days, 1 just vanished, now some might claim it's because I was fish in cycling. But, hubby and I worked hard and made sure the water stats stayed low, doing regular and frequent water changes. 1 danio started fitting/having seizures and so was euthanised.
Then we had 2 Assasin snails from them, that never actually came out of their shell and we declared them dead after 2 weeks.
Then these 6 rasboras, developed mouth fungus within a day or so of getting them and have now died.
Yet everything from the more local LFS - a much smaller shop - is alive and well. Peppered and Albino corys (have had 1 female of each spawn so far), neon tetras, pygmy corys, adf's are all doing well.
All the stuff from tri-mar - kuhlis, shrimp, snails - all are doing great.

So, I guess this means that the bigger LFS just isn't quite as good as it could be. Bit of a pain in the rear but I guess I just won't be buying livestock there again.
 
i have the same problem, all but one of the fish i bought from one lf have died. everything from the other shop has survived.

shame
 
Oh no, the rasboras didnt make it? Bless them, I thought the fungus was clearing up well? Sorry to hear that Kia. :(
 
All deaths have been stock from the same LFS.
Yep, poor little rasboras. The fungus did look as if it had gone and I'd hoped to put them back in the community after the weekend. I'm gutted about them, but also glad I noticed the problem and (probably) saved the community tank from infection.
 
I have some LFS that I love to go into and others that I avoid for fish or anything that isn't hardware. My own experience quickly taught me that certain stores do not know how to care for fish or it may be that they buy from a poor source. Other stores always have good quality stock which means they know the right places to get stock and know how to look after it properly while they have it. The variety of fish available may suffer a bit by not shopping at one of the stores but you will be better off in the end if you avoid them.
 
my lfs has arrowana's in 2ft tanks , about 100 convicts in a 2ft tank(all about 3 inch), also has two or 3 tanks with oscars in which most of them are dead at the bottom or dead near the filter:( has pictus catfish with platy's as well . i just buy my live food from there wouldnt buy anything else
 
The range is pretty good and usually the stock in the tanks looks pretty lively - seen a dead one or two on occassions, but not loads. Just seems that livestock from there doesn't live long.
I'm fairly sure it's not me because everything else (not bought there) is alive, well, growing and full of beans.
But then I guess it could be a simple case of the stock there is weakend by poor water quality, that's not neccessarily visible to the naked eye.
They also have a centralised filter system, where as the more local FS has separate filter systems and I've never yet seen a single dead fish in there - family run and the owners are fish keepers themselves.
 
i agree with oldman :good:
smaller lfs i think can be more picky where they get there stock from,were large one get thiers in bulk
had no probs with my lfs(its just a small family run one :good: )
eric
 

Most reactions

Back
Top