Razers Fishless Cycle!

just updated, im getting odd readings, anyone know why im getting them? (edit in first post)

thanks!

Sorry Razer, you're probably proceeding along ok but we'd need more data to be able to interpret it better. Whenever you post test results, one of the most important pieces of data is how many hours had passed between the time you added ammonia to the tank and when the test results were taken. Most people do this at 12 hours and 24 hours after adding ammonia and then keep records like that day after day. That way it becomes easy to see the different chemicals going up and down. If you have more data like that perhaps we can piece it together. Otherwise maybe start adding the time factor into the postings and post more days in a row.

~~waterdrop~~

see i work stupid shifts and im not in the house from 6 until about 3....so it becomes a pain doing it in hours, although i do have an idea how i will do it, i know its taken the tank around 3 days to process approx 5ppm of ammonia im normally adding ammonia around 8 at night, so i think i need to rethink my game...going to start testing at 4 each day, and whenever i add ammonia i think 9 at night would be ok??? any suggestions would be helpfull :(

Well you are early in the process, so you can work out once-a-day testing and/or ammonia adds any way you like but later on it might be good to see if you could squeeze a testing and possible ammonia add into your morning routine before work, so that you could see your 12 hour results that evening.

~~waterdrop~~

i dont think i would have the time to do it in the morning :( i only just have time to let my dogs out and have some toast by then im gone.....n well if i was late one morning lol, does it really have to be 12 hours apart?? is there not any other way around it? i tested today, ammonia is down so i raised it, am i doing it right?? thanks!

Oh no, the members can help you get it all worked out. Just try and be regular about posting up your once a day results for ammonia, nitrite and pH and tell us how many hours after adding ammonia it was when you did your tests and note the day and time when you -do- add ammonia.

~~waterdrop~~

got it :) ive started to log it properly i just need to get times correct ^_^

ok guys ive started to log my times and such, i got a reading of 8.0ppm ammonia today....there is a dead fly in the tank and i didnt really think this would matter as it is only one of those little ones.....but i have noticed that over the past week my tanks plants have started to go brown in places......only a few mind, but also there is brown "fluf spots" appearing all over the tank.....is this bad?? is somthing going wrong with my cycle :( if i need to do some other test i can please help :(

I'd change a few large cups of water to get that ammonia down closer to 5ppm. At 8ppm you might encourage a different species of autotroph.

The brown just sounds like diatom algae, can be cleaned gently off, I use a small sponge and my hands.. must be very gentle if on live plant leave or they will tear. Trim and remove the most dead plant leaves and discard whole plants as soon as you know you will lose them or they will polute your water.

~~waterdrop

thanks waterdrop :cool: id be pretty lost without you guys on the forums, anyway i have some more test results, this time i added the nitrites and nitrates,

ammonia 0.50ppm
nitrite 0.00
nitrAte 0.00

updated on the main post to :)

so out of the results ive given now is it possible to work out if my cycle is working right or not...?

You look to be doing fine. Just try to notice how much ammonia you put in and test it about a half hour later to be sure that what you -thought- was 5ppm is not 8ppm. Then test and record and post results 24 hours later after the ammonia addition.

~~waterdrop~~

right ive just tested my ammonia and topped it back up, i will be updating that ina min.....but what the hell is this!!!!

DSC00223.jpg

its some kind of dark coloured hair like growth coming of the rock? is this normal....

and this stuff.....

DSC00222.jpg

DSC00221.jpg

it seems to be everywhere! ive also noticed my sand is starting to go brown in colour...and theres snail!!!!!! how on earth has a snail gotten into the tank?? the only thing i can think of is the new plants i added which are long thin things, which if you look in the pictures are starting to die and go brown...i think something is really wrong with my cycle :( please help someone!!

i think that this is just brown algae, which is normal in a new tank, it should go away on its own.
the snail probably came from the plants.

ok thanks, is it normal for it to cover the plants and kill them? or is something else killing the plants? or are they just dying? also....can i scrub it of??

Most reactions

Back