Rare Fish's Rare Fish of the Day!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

have you kept all of these fish before or at least have some experience with them?
I hate when "trusted sources" are parroted and spread as truth, when a lot of the time, it's false information

have you kept all of these fish before or at least have some experience with them?
I hate when "trusted sources" are parroted and spread as truth, when a lot of the time, it's false information
I do the ones that I have not kept, but have researched. I normally call my lfs owner who is a hardcore fish keeper, and get his opinion on these fish. Don’t worry.

We’ll kick day #6 off with a Nano fresh, brackish, and saltwater blenny!

Day #6 (11/10/21

Top Hat Blenny
Omobranchus fasciolatoceps

2Q==.jpeg

Size: rarely exceed 2.5”
pH: 7.0-8.5
Tank size (in gallons): 20g
Country of origin: Southern Japan, Hong Kong, and Taiwan
Diet: Insects and Crustaceans (a micro-predator). In captivity, they will accept most frozen food
Temperament: Peaceful but territorial
Nitrate: <30ppm
Salinity: 0-20 (does best in 0-15)
Fished for: No
Harmful to humans: Harmless

Description:

This is one of the few species of Combtooth Blenny that inhabit fish and brackish water. They inhabit estuaries and mangrove forests, but most are collected in slightly brackish to freshwater areas. There have been a few records of breeding. They are substrate spawners, and larvae are planktonic. Read about the breeding on my first recourse. They are often marketed as ‘freshwater blennies’. These fish are hardy, and will survive through tough shipments, cold temperatures, and more.

Where you can find them:
As always, aqua-imports has them. Specialty saltwater stores may have them, but those will be collected in fully saltwater or high brackish areas.

Recourses:

We’ll kick day #6 off with a Nano fresh, brackish, and saltwater blenny!

Day #6 (11/10/21

Top Hat Blenny
Omobranchus fasciolatoceps

View attachment 147543

Size: rarely exceed 2.5”
pH: 7.0-8.5
Tank size (in gallons): 20g
Country of origin: Southern Japan, Hong Kong, and Taiwan
Diet: Insects and Crustaceans (a micro-predator). In captivity, they will accept most frozen food
Temperament: Peaceful but territorial
Salinity: 0-20 (does best in 0-15)

Description:

This is one of the few species of Combtooth Blenny that inhabit fish and brackish water. They inhabit estuaries and mangrove forests, but most are collected in slightly brackish to freshwater areas. There have been a few records of breeding. They are substrate spawners, and larvae are planktonic. Read about the breeding on my first recourse. They are often marketed as ‘freshwater blennies’. These fish are hardy, and will survive through tough shipments, cold temperatures, and more.

Where you can find them:
As always, aqua-imports has them. Specialty saltwater stores may have them, but those will be collected in fully saltwater or high brackish areas.

Recourses:

Cool fish!!

NannaLou your questions about PH/ acidity/alcaline are chemistry what is known not to be an easy stuff and you will learn it all with a little time, most important now is what kind of fish do you want to keep in your aquarium and to get the information about which PH etc they would like to have, never buy a fish if you don't know this exactly! Acidity and low PH results of water that don't has got lime in it so to speak but a lot of organic stuff like vegetables residues as for example in the rain forest rivers occurs, that's also sooft water without minerals in it, alcaline is the contrary, with lime and most many minerals in it, hard water with a high PH, it's chemistry and you know that's not easy at all, nor for me, don't worry.

NannaLou your questions about PH/ acidity/alcaline are chemistry what is known not to be an easy stuff and you will learn it all with a little time, most important now is what kind of fish do you want to keep in your aquarium and to get the information about which PH etc they would like to have, never buy a fish if you don't know this exactly! Acidity and low PH results of water that don't has got lime in it so to speak but a lot of organic stuff like vegetables residues as for example in the rain forest rivers occurs, that's also sooft water without minerals in it, alcaline is the contrary, with lime and most many minerals in it, hard water with a high PH, it's chemistry and you know that's not easy at all, nor for me, don't worry.
Many thanks for your answer Monsieur 🙂

I know I have hard water and a high pH and (now) select fish accordingly. I have a Betta that I buy RO water for!!

Please explain how a fish can live in pH 5.5-7.5. I don't think that is possible

This is pretty common in the wild. Since pH is directly affected by kH and gH. While in the wild, Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates are almost universally 0 (due to the design of the ecosystem + continuous fresh water) the kH, gH and pH fluctuate throughout the year.

For example, when leaves fall (in temperate areas) the increase in leaves will lower the gH and the release of tannic acids will lower the pH. As the leaves decay, their affect on the water will be reduced. The same is true for wood itself when it falls into the habitat or seed pods at the end of a reproductive cycle.

Following the theme of Nano fish, here’s a pure freshwater Nano from Myanmar. Started this a week ago! Woohoo!

Day #7 (11/11/21)

Paradox Fish
Indostomus paradoxus

Z.jpeg

Size: just over an inch
pH: 6.5-7.8
Tank size (in gallons): 15g
Country of origin: Myanmar, specifically warm, shallow, stagnant drainages, Lake Indawgyi, and the basin of the Irwaddy River
Diet: In the wild, Tiny Invertebrates, worms. In captivity, small live food (daphnia, brine shrimp, and more)
Temperament: Needs Very Peaceful fish. Best for species only tank
Salinity: N/A

Description:

There are only 3 fish in this genus of fish. The Pardox Fish was described in 1920. These fish, though found in many different environments, are picky. They are normally found on the bottom of warm shallow drainages or still black water creeks. They enjoy algae and aquatic plant matter. In aquariums, most will refuse prepared food, and will only eat live food. They are also called the Freshwater Pipefish. These species were considered sticklebacks for a while, but recently they have been given a separate genus. Though not common in the aquarium trade, they breed quite easily. Most will breed in hollowed out reeds, bamboo, or pvc pipes. These fish enjoy muddy bottoms.

Where you can find them:
As always, aqua-imports has them. These fish are very cheap.

Recourses:

Yeah,

What do you guys want more of? Nano Oddballs? Small Oddballs? Monster Oddballs? Specifically from south america? aggressive? Peaceful? ones eating live food? cold water? What do you guys want?

Yeah,

What do you guys want more of? Nano Oddballs? Small Oddballs? Monster Oddballs? Specifically from south america? aggressive? Peaceful? ones eating live food? cold water? What do you guys want?
Maybe do a monster one and then do another nano... I'm loving this thread!! Keep posting! (Although if you need a break I'll understand)

Good to know ;)

I enjoy doing this.

The next one is from the amazon river. It is large. Take a guess!
Arowana? (Idk if that is from the Amazon) Is it a catfish? Eel? The Amazon river has so many fish! Plus its my favorite jungle!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back