Rare Fish's Rare Fish of the Day!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

This fish is my family, I have got some very similar to last year, called Machrognatus siamensis, bought as baby and breeded in captivity (this fact is rather the exception), totally sensitive and intelligent, as for the ideas I will try my best (keep this thread up please, it's excellently done)
Sorry, PM me with ideas :)

We’ll kick day #5 off with a fish that I personally want really badly because of their Piranha-like habits.

Day #5 (11/9/21)

Exodon
Exodon paradoxus

Z.jpeg

Size: rarely exceed 5”
pH: 5.5-7.5
Tank size (in gallons): 55g (48” long tank with height)
Country of origin: Amazon and Tocantis River Basin and Guyana
Diet: Carnivore. Also known to tear apart or eat plants. Will accept meaty foods and can be weaned onto pellets.
Temperament: Best kept in species only tanks of 20+
Nitrate: <30ppm
Salinity: N/A
Fished for: Yes
Harmful to humans: Harmless (because of small size)

Description:

Bucktooth Tetras (or Exodons) are the sole species in the genus Exodon. There common name (Bucktooth Tetra) is controversial, because though these fish act like Piranhas, they do not have any teeth. This is the reason I dub them as Exodons. These fish are highly territorial, and should be kept in groups of 10+, but prefer groups of 20+. They establish social class in their group, and to do this, they need other fish. Once a social class is made, it will stay like that until the next challenger. These fish are very agressive to other fish. Also, they have a feeding behavior called lepidophagy, where they tear apart and eat the fish scales and fins. These fish are very hardy if kept in appropriate conditions. They can live up to 12 years.

Where you can find them:
As always, aqua-imports has them. Most local fish stores that aren’t chains will have them

Recourses:

Ok, thanks! I'll definitely keep an eye out! Also, those bucktooth tetra sound awesome!
Yeah. I’ve always wanted some. Originally wanted my 55g to stay and stock these guys, but too much work. That would bring the total up to 6 tanks, and I have highschool homework, and a ton of other pets.

**If anybody does get them, I can give you more information. I researched these guys for quite a bit of time**

Yeah. I’ve always wanted some. Originally wanted my 55g to stay and stock these guys, but too much work. That would bring the total up to 6 tanks, and I have highschool homework, and a ton of other pets.

**If anybody does get them, I can give you more information. I researched these guys for quite a bit of time**
Yah, I could tell you A TON about leapord geckos... Never got one... Almost did... I understand

I Like Rare Fish said: Sorry, PM me with ideas :)
I can not understand what "PM" means, if I know I'll try to do.

Furthermore I would like to find out which spezies of spinny eels live actually in the see, there are a few, I've tried in internet but I found nothing (surely not suitable for aquariums).

I can not understand what "PM" means, if I know I'll try to do.

Furthermore I would like to find out which spezies of spinny eels live actually in the see, there are a few, I've tried in internet but I found nothing (surely not suitable for aquariums).
‘PM’ is Private Message - the little envelope picture at the top, right of the page, next to the notification bell 🙂

We’ll kick day #5 off with a fish that I personally want really badly because of their Piranha-like habits.

Day #5 (11/9/21)

Exodon
Exodon paradoxus

View attachment 147464

Size: rarely exceed 5”
pH: 5.5-7.5
Tank size (in gallons): 55g (48” long tank with height)
Country of origin: Amazon and Tocantis River Basin and Guyana
Diet: Carnivore. Also known to tear apart or eat plants. Will accept meaty foods and can be weaned onto pellets.
Temperament: Best kept in species only tanks of 20+
Nitrate: <30ppm
Salinity: N/A
Fished for: Yes
Harmful to humans: Harmless (because of small size)

Description:

Bucktooth Tetras (or Exodons) are the sole species in the genus Exodon. There common name (Bucktooth Tetra) is controversial, because though these fish act like Piranhas, they do not have any teeth. This is the reason I dub them as Exodons. These fish are highly territorial, and should be kept in groups of 10+, but prefer groups of 20+. They establish social class in their group, and to do this, they need other fish. Once a social class is made, it will stay like that until the next challenger. These fish are very agressive to other fish. Also, they have a feeding behavior called lepidophagy, where they tear apart and eat the fish scales and fins. These fish are very hardy if kept in appropriate conditions. They can live up to 12 years.

Where you can find them:
As always, aqua-imports has them. Most local fish stores that aren’t chains will have them

Recourses:

Please explain how a fish can live in pH 5.5-7.5. I don't think that is possible

Please explain how a fish can live in pH 5.5-7.5. I don't think that is possible
Please can you explain why you think this..? I’ve got the Nitrogen Cycle now, but am still struggling with pH/acidity/alkaline…it’s just not staying put in my head 🤔😡

Please can you explain why you think this..? I’ve got the Nitrogen Cycle now, but am still struggling with pH/acidity/alkaline…it’s just not staying put in my head 🤔😡
Simply there are two types of fish. Those that like Alkaline water and those that like acid water. I know that there are members here that say it doesn't matter and hardness is everything. I say rubbish. pH is the most crucial factor put an acid loving fish in an Alkaline tank you will have problems and vis versa. We have several threads here now highlighting this fact.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back