Rapid Ph Changes...harmful Or Not?

fishlover82

New Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2009
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hello there!

I have a question about my ph reading and what can I do about it.

Before today my mind have been set up that my ph which is 8.0 is just normal and can do no harm until I came across with this website http://guppyplace.tripod.com/WaterQuality.html and quite informative too. I read about the water quality stuff and got quite curious about the ph, so I did 2 ph tests.

1st (Tap water)
ph is 7.4

2nd (Tank water)
ph is 8.0

Now, as what I have read on the website rapid changes on ph is quite harmful to fishes specially guppies. Any input will be much appreciated. Thanks!
 
You or the fish will notice no difference in the pH of the water after a water change.

"a change of .3 is dangerous"

No it isnt. Fish go through large pH swings in the wild, from something as simple as acid rain. Injecting CO2 lowers pH levels by about 1pH per day (then raises by 1pH again at night). This doesnt affect our fish, or guppys. I have seen lots of people with guppies and CO2 injection
 
The only time my fish reacted was when I put two teaspoons of bicarb in the tank to raise kh and my poor cardinals went clear and were darting around all night. Didn't think they would make it but morning came and all were well again. So now I add bicarb gradually lol over a couple of hours.

My tank ph has been 6.0 then I did a 50% water change with tap water of 7 and fish showed no reaction.
 
But I must admit after knowing that my tap water is perfect ph, I do want to keep it that way. My question now is what makes my tank's water ph go to 8.0 when my tap water is 7.4? And I thought bogwood can help lower the ph and I do have one.
 
any alkaline substances in the tank such as limestome or coral sand will raise the pH.

I don't have limestone or coral sand just plain gravel but then I do have a very hard water to begin with.
 
there are lots of other substances that may raise the pH, i just listed those 2 for examples. There isnt really such aa thing as a perfect pH. Just an ideal pH. Some fish refer a pH of 6, however, they will happily live in a pH7 they may not breed (unless they are livebearers which in anycase they it probably wont make a difference!)
 
I was about to post the same question, my tank has a PH of about 7.9 to 8, my tap water is about 7.5. I just have some Neon Tetras, Platies & cat fish. I have been using "Nutrafin PH - down". It says add 30 drops per 100 litres, my tank is 170 litres but on the side of caution I started on 30 drops to see what happens then have moved to 50 drops. So far over 7 days I have now added a total of 290 drops & the PH is still 7.9 to 8.
Am I concerned about nothing & should just leave the PH? Why isn't this additive working?
 
whether the additive works or not, there is no need to add them as explained above, and they can cause more harm than good. It isnt reccomended you try to change the chemistry of the water as it isnt needed, unless there were something seroiusly wrong.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top