Random Discussion

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
LOL, ah that's funny, especially the video of the skippy chasing the guy around the golf cart.

It's the male roos that cause problems. The picture of one of them standing facing the camera doing a body builder pose is a buffed up male in breeding condition. The males fight over territory and punch, kick and scratch other males. They can't tell the difference between male and female humans and just assume they are all males wanting to grab some of their territory and girls.

It's easy to fix, shoot the males that are causing problems and eat them or feed them to the dogs.
Neuter the roos! 🤣🤣

Sad... such a beautiful creature really. Hate to see them die
Their natural predators were all killed off many years ago. That means they need to be hunted by humans or they get overpopulated. I guess the best the Aussies can do is make sure the meat and leather gets put to good use. Kangaroo leather makes really great boots. I hear they're good eating, too, but I've never had the opportunity to try. If I ever get to hunt in Australia, I'd be much more interested in feral buffalo.

(of course in this case it wouldn't really be a hunt, since there would be no challenge to it at all. Simply a cull for the good of the humans in the area and the overall kangaroo population)

Their natural predators were all killed off many years ago. That means they need to be hunted by humans or they get overpopulated. I guess the best the Aussies can do is make sure the meat and leather gets put to good use. Kangaroo leather makes really great boots. I hear they're good eating, too, but I've never had the opportunity to try. If I ever get to hunt in Australia, I'd be much more interested in feral buffalo.
Dingoes are the main predators of kangaroos. But the reason they do so well now is because people chop down trees and make huge areas of grassland to graze sheep and cattle on. In addition to the free grass, humans have water sources for livestock, which the kangaroos use. This lets the roos breed all year round and they breed out of control.

If there wasn't as much grass, or a constant water source, they would only breed once a year instead of all year round.

--------------------
The meat is very low in fat (most fat is stored in the tail and used as a reserve by the roos in harsh conditions). The meat is also dry due to low fat and it needs a source to make it go down easier. But the flavour isn't bad. I used pureed carrots on kangaroo steaks, the carrot improves the flavor and makes it easier to swallow.

c.f Deer in the US
Especially back east, yeah.

Dingoes are the main predators of kangaroos. But the reason they do so well now is because people chop down trees and make huge areas of grassland to graze sheep and cattle on. In addition to the free grass, humans have water sources for livestock, which the kangaroos use. This lets the roos breed all year round and they breed out of control.

If there wasn't as much grass, or a constant water source, they would only breed once a year instead of all year round.

--------------------
The meat is very low in fat (most fat is stored in the tail and used as a reserve by the roos in harsh conditions). The meat is also dry due to low fat and it needs a source to make it go down easier. But the flavour isn't bad. I used pureed carrots on kangaroo steaks, the carrot improves the flavor and makes it easier to swallow.
I thought the wild dingoes had pretty much all been wiped out. Was I mistaken about that? Are there still enough around to affect kangaroo populations? It would be cool to know that they're still around. We have wolves, coyotes, mountain lions, and bears (blacks and an occasional griz) around here, and I like having them. Besides keeping the ecology somewhat in balance, it adds a bit of spice (and motivation) to my trail runs. :lol:

The meat sounds a lot like venison. You can't cook it like marbled beef, but it's delicious if you do it right.

Most of the dingoes have been wiped out by people hunting them for allegedly attacking livestock (sheep and cows). Most of the attacks are from domestic or feral dogs, not dingoes. Subsequently the only true wild dingoes now are found on Fraser Island (off the coast of Queensland) and a lot of them have died from the bush fire that burnt most of the island because the government was to stupid to put it out.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back