Weird old posts from 2000s lol

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

JackGulley

Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So since the front page now shows random pictures from the forum through the years… I have now been notified of the existence of the forum’s old “Rogue’s Gallery” thread for people to post real-life pictures of themselves. I can’t believe that everyone would just reveal themselves and their kids faces on the net for everyone to see, but this was in like 2002-2011 so maybe the internet was just a different time. So many weird emo pictures too lol. And everybody on the thread isn’t here anymore, except randomly I found @simonas 🤣:shifty:

Also, was this forum originally British or something? Because everyone in that thread was talking about “football” (⚽️) and none of their slang made any sense lol

The forum is based in the UK and has members from around the world, but many of the original members where from the UK where soccer (their type of football) is a national game.

There are three (maybe 4 if you include the kiwis) types of football.
English football or soccer.
American grid iron football. Bunch of kitties running around in body armour.
Australia football (Aussie rules football), we don't wear armor and have lots of brian damige to proove it. Who said that? Where am I?
Rugby played by the New Zealanders and some other countries like Australia, but it's nowhere near as big as Aussie rules in Australia.

The founder of the forum, William, was British and the forum was based here. It was sold around 2010/2011, then again a few years later. It is no longer based in the UK, though I don't know where it is currently based.
This is the first ever public post, though there were earlier test posts now found only in the staff area.

So since the front page now shows random pictures from the forum through the years… I have now been notified of the existence of the forum’s old “Rogue’s Gallery” thread for people to post real-life pictures of themselves. I can’t believe that everyone would just reveal themselves and their kids faces on the net for everyone to see, but this was in like 2002-2011 so maybe the internet was just a different time. So many weird emo pictures too lol. And everybody on the thread isn’t here anymore, except randomly I found @simonas 🤣:shifty:

Also, was this forum originally British or something? Because everyone in that thread was talking about “football” (⚽️) and none of their slang made any sense lol
You sound pretty paranoid. Facebook would go bust if everyone had your attitude.

@Essjay , you say William "was" British? Is he no longer with us?

No. He stayed around for a few months after he sold the forum, then disappeared. He was last seen on the forum in 2013.

Whether he's "still with us" in the sense is he still alive, there's no way of knowing.

🤣:shifty:

The moment you go online to discuss a thing like fish, you aren't in your country anymore. A lot of new to discussion people don't realize that, and don't realize who they're talking to. I love the old posts that say "can you suggest a good fish store in Nowhereville?" They're talking to people all over the world, and they don't realize no one knows where their town or village is, let alone who runs the local store.
We deal with google translated English, Indian English, American, British, Australian, Canadian, Irish and so many more. It comes out a lot in the fish name debates, where a lot of people feel Latin names are for eggheads, but many fish have different English names in different countries. Plus we have people here whose home language isn't English, and they have different fish names. It's why I am a pain in the butt with using the international, Latin names.

We have all kinds of cultural differences, language use differences. I stick to Canadian spelling here, and consider it my accent in writing. When I wrote commercially for the US, I used US spelling. I think we should all use our local varieties of English, but gives clues as to what we're saying. I've learned some good travel slang on fish forums.

It's fun. I wish we had more language groups and cultures able to participate. We get a tiny window into the Netherlands hobby here, but the Europeans have cool things going on, and language is such a barrier. I'm on a French forum (I'm from Quebec) and the discussions are somewhat different, though equally polite.

I can’t believe that everyone would just reveal themselves and their kids faces on the net for everyone to see, but this was in like 2002-2011 so maybe the internet was just a different time.
Still being done quite recently (maybe without all their kids) so if you have a few spare hours you might find more current users.

I don't think there's much to be concerned about with your face on here. We are constantly tracked by private sector tech that isn't accountable to us. I keep finding my face in photos taken at work, in photos from relatives. My snout was on Facebook twice last week, even if I don't post pictures of myself. I have a morphometric passport with precise measurements of my features, and if I walk across a major city, face recognition tech can say where I've been, if anyone cares.

Half my extended family has paid to share their DNA with a corporation so they can be told they're 1.5% Viking.

Privacy is a losing cause. It's probably easier for a person with skills to find your face and your information than it is to find a photo of a rare fish.

The world (the Europeans, Asians, Africans, central and south Americans) calls it football because the ball is moved mainly with the feet.
If anyone can supply a logical reason for calling American "football" football, please do.

Last edited:
The world (the Europeans, Asians, Africans, central and south Americans) calls it football because the ball is moved mainly with the feet.
If anyone can supply a logical reason for calling American "football" football, please do.
I think it was a typo for the yanks and rather than correct it, they stuck with the term football ever since.

The things you don’t know . I never knew anything about the humble beginnings of The Great TFF Forum and I have always wondered why so many Brits around here but I like England and its people . That Anglo-Saxon slang is music to my ears . And Bob’s your Uncle ! LOL !

ha ha I need to have a look, I'll have had hair then and been about 4 stone lighter! :)
Just checked as well I have been a member since May 2004!! 20 years has gone fast

What is a "stone" in metric or pounds? Can you lose weight by choosing an enormous stone and saying you only weigh 7 of them, and gain weight by hitting that boulder with a sledgehammer????

One stone = 14 pounds, it's a measure commonly used to weight Wool.

Most reactions

Back