Ramshorn snails question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sharkweek178

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I have a planted tank that I'm currently cycling. There are ramshorn snails that hitched a ride on one of the plants. I don't mind the snails. I don't feed the snails, letting them eat algae and dead plant matter. However, I'm starting to notice holes in the leaves of some of my plants. Could that be from the snails? And should I start to feed them to keep them from eating the plants.

If they are Planorbids like Helisoma anceps, those typically don't damage healthy plants because they can't rasp hard enough on the leaf for many types of plants - unless of course the plant species is quite fragile or the snail is quite large; there are always exceptions. IME holes in plant leaves when Planorbids are present are usually the result of some other problem with the plant (not enough light, fish nibbling, etc) and then the Planorbids will eat the rotted soft bits.

If they are Planorbids like Helisoma anceps, those typically don't damage healthy plants because they can't rasp hard enough on the leaf for many types of plants - unless of course the plant species is quite fragile or the snail is quite large; there are always exceptions. IME holes in plant leaves when Planorbids are present are usually the result of some other problem with the plant (not enough light, fish nibbling, etc) and then the Planorbids will eat the rotted soft bits.
This could very well be it. I'm seeing it in jungle vals. And if it is the snails eating the bad portions, then that's probably a benefit.

And botia loaches, julies, and a few other fish like to eat rams horn snails. They are much easier to control than Malaysian snails that bury themselves under the gravel and have shells of steel.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back